Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting new trolling motor????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting new trolling motor????

I have a 2002 Tracker PT175. I just took the factory trolling motor off to be replaced with a Minnkota Powerdrive V2. The Motorguide it came with was mounted using long bolts threaded into rubber cushions and thread taps. I have not yet tried to mount the new motor, that's tomorrow. Assuming the new motor mount doesn't line up with the 4 pre-existing holes, I'm not sure how I'm going to mount the new one. The only access to the underside of the bow is a 4" x 8" hole dead center, under the deck, and I'll never reach that far to hold a nut to tighten it. Will it be safe to use a large self tapping metal screw to hold the motor mount? Has anyone had experience with this problem? Any suggestions?
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Why not get some of the bolts like that are on the other one.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

If you gotta mount it tomorrow maybe a marine store or boat place will have some on hand locally....

BTW, the Minn Kota PD cut above the clutch problems I had with the original Motorguide ones. Good choice. I opted for the cable controller rather than the remote. Great to let youngins have the front of the boat while you relax and manuver from the back seat. Great for trolling to sit in the back also, sometimes....Hope this helps...DL
    We didn't come to look and learn, we came to trun and burn!...DL's piping crew.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denduke
    Why not get some of the bolts like that are on the other one.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

If you gotta mount it tomorrow maybe a marine store or boat place will have some on hand locally....

BTW, the Minn Kota PD cut above the clutch problems I had with the original Motorguide ones. Good choice. I opted for the cable controller rather than the remote. Great to let youngins have the front of the boat while you relax and manuver from the back seat. Great for trolling to sit in the back also, sometimes....Hope this helps...DL

Those are called well nuts. They work fine but be sure to retighted after the first few trips.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok...

I just mounted my autopilot v2 on a Basstracker Pro Crappie 175. Holes don't line up. I hate drilling big holes in my boat, so I made a plate, drilled and mounted it to the boat using the existing holes and using the shock absorbing rubber things. I then mounted the minn kota quick disconnect plate to the new mount plate by drilling and tapping holes to fit (the minn kota) pattern. Looks and works good.

In other words, the Minn Kota is mounted to a plate that is bolted to the boat.

I had help with the drilling and tapping. That ain't my bag.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 02-27-2007 at 08:01 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

That is what the Motorguide was mounted with. The well nuts that is. Does BPS carry those? I live 20 minutes from the Cincinnati store. Are they a type of hollow anchor? How exactly do they hold the thing tight, as obviously they do since the old one never jumped off.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Never mount a trolling motor using self tapping screws. They will work loose and then your trolling motor will be at the bottom of the lake. Always use bolts, washers, and nuts.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

There's a brass nut in the bottom of the rubber deal. Drill hole just so it'll slip through and as you tighten the bolt/screw it pulls up spreading the rubber tightly in the hole. Unless the original ones were torqued till they tore you might salvage them. Requires occasional retighting also. The plate idea sounds good not wanting holes all in your boat. Me, I got an older boat and got rod holders drilled and bolted every where anyway. Heck, I got the darn thing to use anyway. But my name is Dennis and I could be wrong...

BTW, I also got a luminum duck boat that has a front deck w/floatation; no access. I needed a seat up there for peching and had your problem of backing with nuts. I drilled a 2" hole saw where the seat bracket would be, drilled my bolt holes, with fingers duct taped 4 bolts sticking up, started the nuts, held the end of the bolt above the started nuts with needle nose till tight, and finished with double lock nuts. So you'd be surprised what you might do ...DL
    Notice the double nurts in the bracket under the seat.

Had to reverse the troller head to point forward with handle to me, shimed the large transom throat clamp wit plywood, put the lil "Big foot" switch in line, mounted luminum angle to the front rail and added my plastic rod holders. This all gets covered wit duck blind till later!!!!!!He He Fellow DIYers are great!
    We didn't come to look and learn, we came to trun and burn!...DL's piping crew.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you have to do to turn the head on an transom mount 40# Minnkota Endura trolling motor. Thanks. lol
    Today is a great day

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ribit
    What do you have to do to turn the head on an transom mount 40# Minnkota Endura trolling motor. Thanks. lol
    Most of them have a bolt and nut that goes thru the head or motor. Take 1 of them out, turn it 180°, then put the bolt and nut back in.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 17ft alum. basstracker and I just installed a minnkota auto pilot on the front of it. The sloped foot plate that runs across the front of the boat has stainless screws in it. Remove them and you can pull it loose (leave the trolling motor and trim controls alone, they will move some)and move it away far enough to get your hands all the way to the front of the boat. I had to get my helper to do the last bolts, I am a large (older) person LOL and could not reach them. I have taken it loose before mounting my depthfinder on my boat.
    But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast