Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Holders

I normally fish in the traditional method(slip float, sinker , minnow) but i would like to start trolling for crappie. Where would I find rod holders that hold at least six rods. My boat is a gruman aluminum bass boat. I have tried to install rod holders on it before but the railing is kind of an oval shape and the rod holders just slip off when a fish hits it.
    Hey where's my float.

Post Thanks / Like

Titelok and Driftmaster both make rigs for trolling. to my knowledge they will only hold 4 rods each. Bass Pro carries both.

This should give you a place to start. I think most of the people I know around here make their own trolling bars, then add their choice of rod holder to them
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to www.crappiestuff.com and look at the rod holders there.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driftmaster Rod Holders

I also use the traditional method, and I really like the Driftmaster Rod Holders. These holders will stay in place and lasts a lifetime. What I like about these holders is that when I get a bite, all I have to do is grab the poles and lift straight up for an immediate hookset. With most other holders, you have to lift the pole out of the holders before setting the hook resulting in more lost fish. Go to the Driftmaster link on top of this page and check them out.
    Last edited by Crappie Chaser; 01-18-2005 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Killer

The CrappieKiller has the best (most durable) one I've seen.

http://www.thecrappiekiller.com/killer_stuff.html

I bought one a few years ago and it is made of steel and will withstand anything. I've wasted a lot of money on cheaper versions made of aluminum, but I overtightened those and stripped them out.

If you are handy with a welder than one could probably make one fairly simple. All you need is some angle iron, 4 clamp on style rod holders, a threaded galvanized steel plumbing pipe, and a base to screw it in.

I am sure you could cut your angle iron to the desired length to fit 6 pole holders on it and/or you could always ask the "killer" if he can custom make one with 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Default alright!!!!!

you guys have provided some great info and i really appreciate it. I am going to get some of those rod holders soon and hopefully the new method of fishing will work better for me.

Rev.
    Hey where's my float.

Post Thanks / Like

i use driftmasters exclusively. heres a photo of how i got em rigged on my boat. i have racks for two holders, and four holders. six holder could be made fairly easy, but using longer arms on the t's
    Last edited by rango; 12-19-2008 at 06:47 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driftmaster on Alum Boat

Rev, I also use Driftmaster rodholders and I have mounted individual bases on the rounded topsides of my alum boat. Drill two small holes, mount the base with screws and go fish ! Just as info, I tried to long-line troll with two long rods out the front left and two out the right side of my boat, but I almost got whiplash from swiveling my neck so much -- worse than a tennis match. I wound up mounting 4 bases on the right side up front, and 4 holders out the left side in back. Then I use 12/10/6/6 ft rods out each side. The first 6 is fished straight out, the 2nd angled back. The fisher in back can operate a handcontrol trolling motor and be in a perfect place to reach the control or the rods. The front fisher can operate a footcontrol and still reach his 4 rods. If I slow troll, I put 4 long rods out front, and two long rods out back sides with two short rods with slip floats straight back. Works for me. If you want fewer rods just mount what you need, could add more later. I prefer the holders that hold the rod level rather than angle up. I've used this setup several years and bases and holders still in good shape. Good Luck, JimA

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod holders for trolling

Rev,

Go to our website(driftmaster.com) and look at what we have , two versions of trolling bars.Call with any questions and I will try and answer your questions. I have been on the road doing shows for 2 1/2 weeks and unable to review the site so I am now back in town trying to play catchup.
    Good luck,

Driftmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Giles
    The CrappieKiller has the best (most durable) one I've seen.

http://www.thecrappiekiller.com/killer_stuff.html

I bought one a few years ago and it is made of steel and will withstand anything. I've wasted a lot of money on cheaper versions made of aluminum, but I overtightened those and stripped them out.

If you are handy with a welder than one could probably make one fairly simple. All you need is some angle iron, 4 clamp on style rod holders, a threaded galvanized steel plumbing pipe, and a base to screw it in.

I am sure you could cut your angle iron to the desired length to fit 6 pole holders on it and/or you could always ask the "killer" if he can custom make one with 6.
    I bought one of those Killer rodholders. You are right that the t-bar is very sturdy. However the holders themselves (which sell for $3.49 at BP) were too long for use with the short 5' UL Ugly Stix I use. I also didn't like the thin metal clamp used to hold them on tne bar. I gave em away and put driftmasters on the bar.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast