HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new TOW boat.....Suggestions??????????

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My new TOW boat.....Suggestions??????????

This is my surface TOW. I built the TOW so to determine the actual running depth of my lures at different speeds, line weights, and line out when pulling out the back of my Pondtoon.

I am doing this because there exists little information that is relevant to what is in my tackle box.

Many here may recognize the TOW platform.

I am still waiting on a cheap winch. When it arrives, I will make a removable mount or kludge for my Pondtoon, whichever comes first.

I have inline cigar weights from size 1/2 oz to 2 oz. I will be checking all weights, lures, speed, etc. by my chart.

I have covered the basics. I am always open to suggestions. There is always something overlooked in the best made plans.

The "how it works" should be evident from the pictures..
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes skeetbum, crappie flash LIKED above post
    Thanks blueball thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Is your rudder adjustable to compensate for the extra drag of the transducer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter2 View Post
    Awesome. Is your rudder adjustable to compensate for the extra drag of the transducer?
    Yes.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

How about line type, & pound test/diameter on your chart, or are you only using one specific size of line on all rods being tested ??

Is 30ft of line out your max normal length, or is the chart just a "sample" showing of what you're testing ?? I ask because when we push cranks, using 2oz weights & Bandit 300's @ 1.8mph, 40-60ft of line out is "normal" when fishing the 12-18ft depths.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured out that it is towed behind the boat and has a transducer so you know the depth under it but cant see how it tells the depth of the lure unless the DF/FF is sensitive enough to "see" the lure on the head unit in the boat.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes Moveon LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    How about line type, & pound test/diameter on your chart, or are you only using one specific size of line on all rods being tested ??

Is 30ft of line out your max normal length, or is the chart just a "sample" showing of what you're testing ?? I ask because when we push cranks, using 2oz weights & Bandit 300's @ 1.8mph, 40-60ft of line out is "normal" when fishing the 12-18ft depths.

All I use is 10 pound mono. Anybody wants something different they can come ride with me and bring what they want.

30 foot is as far as I can safely extend. I rarely go over 1.5 mph. If I need deeper, I have some 3 oz and 4 oz weights to try.

My intension is to shorten up line out lengths. Cranking 100 ft line in sucks. I am trying to establish best and max line out vs weight.

The average depth @ Ky Lake (Paris Tn) is 12 foot. Good input CP.
    Likes Moveon LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I figured out that it is towed behind the boat and has a transducer so you know the depth under it but cant see how it tells the depth of the lure unless the DF/FF is sensitive enough to "see" the lure on the head unit in the boat.
    All lures will be tied with 3 foot 6# leader. I should see a blur across the screen (wide line). This would be the line, weight, and lure. I have seen this before when pushing. The bait would be the deepest part of the blur. I can jockey the TOW back and forth to locate the deepest point of the blur. I control line out, and, I can see where the line enters the water. This is why I ordered a spur gear winch. I can use my Dewalt drill to adjust line in/out. Of course, this is a work in progress.

Also line with lure will be close to right tube (looking aft) where the x ducer is mounted. I can see the hi viz line.
    Thanks Clint thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    All I use is 10 pound mono. Anybody wants something different they can come ride with me and bring what they want.

30 foot is as far as I can safely extend. I rarely go over 1.5 mph. If I need deeper, I have some 3 oz and 4 oz weights to try.

My intension is to shorten up line out lengths. Cranking 100 ft line in sucks. I am trying to establish best and max line out vs weight.

The average depth @ Ky Lake (Paris Tn) is 12 foot. Good input CP.
    What brand/diameter mono are you using, Tom ?? Might give those, whom can't make the trip, a shot at ciphering their line size against your chart results.

I also meant to ask if your tow "line" was only 30ft in length .... (just by the looks of the picture) .... and that was your max usable length. Now knowing that you're looking at shallower avg water depths & lower speeds than what we fish, and that you're looking to fish with the least amount of line out & still get appropriate depth with the weight, I understand your reasoning.

You don't have to tell me about cranking in 100ft of line "sucking" ... at 20" of line retrieval per handle turn, that's 60 full turns of the handle - even your 30ft length @ 20"/handle turn will take 18 turns - & that's bad enough

Post Thanks / Like

I use Vicious 10# mono on most all pulling poles. I use Suffix 6# for leader. Mainly because I got a good deal on the line stuff from Grizzly Jigs. I also have 2 poles with Wally Marshall Hi Viz Yellow 10#. I have the Okuma Mag 15s. You wind forever before a fish is in the boat.

My transducer cable is 40 feet max. That is the system limitation per Lowrance for 2d. I have a strain relief wire tied to the 2d cable to relieve the strain and also retrieve if something goes south. I have flotation points on the cable to prevent cable sinking. Hopefully will be able to hold the cable out of the water using the strain cable.

I will find out more when I hit the water. You can only speculate so much. Theoretically, I am on target.

My tow cable is @ 50 foot.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be recording most stuff on Lawrence. I will mount a unit on back rail just for this trial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast