Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat trouble

Made it out on the lake today and was actually catching a few fish. I decided to make a little run to try another spot. I got my boat up on plane and started across the lake when my warning horn went off. The horn didn't sound quite right. I know that a continuous sounding of the horn means overheating and intermittent tone means it's not getting oil. It really was neither, It sounding almost like it was shorting out or something. Regardless, I shut it down and got off the water. My engine didn't seem hot and I didn't see anything wrong with my oil lines, no kinks or leaks. Could the alarm itself just be malfunctioning? My boat does have some age on it. It's a 1991 bumble bee w/ a 150 Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

Try this site. It's really helpful with troubleshooting.
    The marine doctor seems to know his stuff.
    http://www.themarinedoctor.com/
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

I would definately see if the water pump is working right. Years ago I had my alarm go off at top speed but wouldn't do it at 3/4 or less. I could see the stream of water coming out of my engine telling me that it was pumping.
    I changed out the impeller and I only had one rubber paddle left out of 6!
    I change it every two years now regardless if I having problems or not.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

It is very possible your alarm has malfunctioned. I have a Johnson 50 hp motor that once ran like it had a fouled plug or on one cylinder. We tried everything. Finally I had to get the mechanic to go on the lake with me to find out what was going on. Come to find out a sensor for the low or no oil light was acting up. I have not replaced the sensor, I just unhooked the wire leading to the sensor since it's simple to just look in the oil tank!

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

my problem was the same as slabbandit,impeller teeth broken after I replaced it no more annoying buzzer....
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was the same as turkeyfoot,and I also have not replaced that sensor . on my motor it cost 150 bucks. It's been 2 years under constant use,no problems since.
    The fish were bitting yesterday, The fish will bite tomorrow,,, today I must buy my fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    I would definately see if the water pump is working right. Years ago I had my alarm go off at top speed but wouldn't do it at 3/4 or less. I could see the stream of water coming out of my engine telling me that it was pumping.
    I changed out the impeller and I only had one rubber paddle left out of 6!
    I change it every two years now regardless if I having problems or not.

Absolutely, great advice don't take any chances. Chack that water pump and oil system. I would advise against unhooking any warning alarms. Just my 2 cents.
    A positive additude may not fix all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Had that happen with my Yamaha. Sensor went out and put the boat in limp home mode. I did not know if my oil injection was shot or not. I kept a couple of quarts of oil in the boat in case it quit. Dumped in the oil and limped back to the ramp. Got it checked out and it was the gauge and could be fixed for $350! I had them unhook the oil injection for $150 and now mix my gas. I know the motor is getting oil now. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem... My 90Merc would beep when getting on plain and when running in anything but dead calm water. Filled the oil to the top and it stopped... for one trip. Sensor bad and any sloshing would set it off. Replaced sensor and no problems since.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a simple thing to check, but make sure your battery posts are clean and the nuts are tight.Sometimes a loose connection will make you alarm go off. Especially if the horn doesnt sound right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast