Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Useing a swivel with jigs ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Useing a swivel with jigs ?

Hello, would useing a barrel swivel 6"-8" above a road runner jig affect the action of the jig ? I use spincast and spinning reels and thought it might help reduce line twist. Lures are either roadrunners, rattle traps, or small diving minnows/ crank baits. Will a swivel change the action ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would affect the jig action and reduce line twist. But I'm not sure how any of those lures are causing line twist.

The only time I use a swivel (snap, not barrel) is with some type of spinner, like a Mepps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4
    Hello, would useing a barrel swivel 6"-8" above a road runner jig affect the action of the jig ? I use spincast and spinning reels and thought it might help reduce line twist. Lures are either roadrunners, rattle traps, or small diving minnows/ crank baits. Will a swivel change the action ? -Thanks
    If any of your lures are causing line twist it would have to be spinning around in circles as you pull it in and that is not supposed to happen. Any lure that does not come in straight and level should be tunned or something to make is swim right.

Line twist may be coming from putting your line on backward.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't had any problems, just always hear about line twist with spincast and spinning reels. Just an idea I want to bounce around.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not having any problems, I wouldn't use one. If you put your line on correctly, you shouldn't have any line twist problems.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation The lures won't cause the twist ....

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4
    unless they get fouled in the line, or something else, causing them to roll (spin) as you retrieve/troll them. What will cause some twist, is the simple act of casting them ... I see that happening often, when I'm casting Roadrunners & jigs.
    Barrel swivels won't really help much, and they create the situation where you'll have two more "knots" to be concerned with (potential weak spots, or trouble spots).
    When you start seeing the line twisting, your lures spinning around when you lift them out of the water, or any indication that whatever method or lure you are using is causing line twist -- lay that rod aside and pick up another one, and continue to fish. When time comes to move to another spot, cut the bait off the twisted line rod, pull out about 3 cast lengths of line, and drag it in the water behind the boat as you idle away from the spot you're leaving. After a couple of minutes of this, reel the line back in and re-tie a bait on the line. You'll be good to go, for another fair length of time of casting or trolling. (you can also achieve the same effect, by dragging the unbaited line around the yard, thru the grass).

.......... cp

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I will have to disagree with most of you guys. We use 4 lb test and large jigs on 12' Buck's poles with small Zebco spincast. The line gets so twisted that it wraps around tip of pole. I use a small swivel 3' or so above my jig. That has solved the line twist.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Me To

I'm with nimrod on this one--I use a #12 or #14 barrel about 2 ft up the line on ALL my spinning reels.Heck,even just split shot & hook with minners night fishin will twist the heck out of my line.
    just my .02 cents .