Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long Lining Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Lining Question

I have just recently started trolling for crappie and have a question about how much line to let out. This week when we went it seemed as though our lures were staying on top of the water and not getting down to where the crappie were. I have 4 lb mono on and think that may be one of the problems but wanted to get advice for guys who have done it more than me.

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by volfan411 View Post
    I have just recently started trolling for crappie and have a question about how much line to let out. This week when we went it seemed as though our lures were staying on top of the water and not getting down to where the crappie were. I have 4 lb mono on and think that may be one of the problems but wanted to get advice for guys who have done it more than me.
    6 lb mono would be best for lonlining !!! and here is the best read you will ever get on this technique pay close attention to the chart on page 6 that is where you will get the answer to your original question !!! hope this helps !!!!

http://magnoliacrappieclub.com/articles/LongLining.pdf

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Thanks volfan411 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The line is not the problem. 4# is fine, though most I know use 6# because you do hit a snag every so often. How much line you have out, speed you are going and weight of your lure determine the depth. Some folks use 1/32 oz jigs and put a split shot ahead of it to get it down to the depth they need.
    The best way to determine this is to throw out a lure as far as you can and troll at a set speed, maybe .8 to 1 MPH and troll toward shallow water and see when your lure hits bottom. If you do this with several different jig weights you will know how deep each runs. Then always run the speed you were going and try to make each cast the same distance and the only variable is the weight of the jigs. Line size can affect this so all your reels should have the same weight and type line on them whether it is 4# or 6# or whatever. (Type being mono or braid or fluorocarbon,etc)
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with 4lb test on open water. I usually just make a good cast and set to pole in holder. I reckon 40-50' typically and that puts a single 1/16oz jig about 3' deep at 1.3mph. Another good read on the South Carolina board, there is a sticky at top.