HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boating Etiquette and trolling

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boating Etiquette and trolling

I'd like some feedback here from the masses. Each year we have an area that is off limits to fishing(waterfowl refuge) until March 1. On that day and in some years it can get crowded. the slough is 3/4 mile long and 1/4 mile wide I have seen as high as 35 boats there. The problem is every year as you are trolling someone( some I know their boats they do it every year) will cut in front of you and you will have to stop or get their lines in your trolling motor. Every year we hear several cuss fights, finger pointing and other things I can't repeat. How or is there a way to handle this other than my friend who is 6'6" 300lbs tells them to take it to the bank and settle it?

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, all sportsmen are not sportsmen. Some of it has to do with the "me, myself & I" mentality that has been propagated over the past couple of decades. Not much you, or anyone else, can really be done about that I'm afraid. Threats and/or violence are certainly not the answer. Maybe you should try pulling off at about the same time they do, and try having a logical discussion about the situation. You'd be surprised at what logic can accomplish. Compromise is everything in life.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Right there is one of the founding reasons for CCW legalization.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    Right there is one of the founding reasons for CCW legalization.
    true, but fighting over a fishing spot isn't worth it.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinions on this are varied, mostly on the behavior of the offender. I'm a get what you give guy sometimes. But if you drag your lines into my TM and cause me grief repeatedly, and disassembly to remove line from the shaft, I would be inclined to cut the line and throw it in my boat. Cranks or jigs would become mine. However, an honest mistake by a newbie would receive a gentler response. Personally, I would run less lines than normal and try to keep the static to a minimum, and leave when the stress level got too high.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes chaunc, Redge, S10CHEVY, crp4570, DaveB40, Drtodd10 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Or, as I have done, keep a bass rig loaded with a crank bait and start casting!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappa View Post
    Or, as I have done, keep a bass rig loaded with a crank bait and start casting!
    With that many boats in that small an area, why would you expect to be able to fish comfortably? Cut down on the number of rods, shorten the distance you're use to covering, and be extra aware of the other people using the same area as you and the many other boats are, or, as I might do, go to another similar area you have saved in your gps and maybe take less fish but have a more peaceful and enjoyable day fishing. There's been many days in the spring here in PA we have an area of one lake that has two to three HUNDRED boats in a three mile area of the lake and everybody's drifting with the wind. I'll join in but when it starts to get a little to hectic, I'll go fish a different area of the lake and still catch fish. I'd never stoop so low as to cast a crankbait to purposely snag someone else's line. Just not worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

We deal with similar etiquette issues all the time. Boats coming by doing 50mph when you're trying to fish etc. You can't fix stupid and rude people, they have a different mentality.
    If you want a relaxing time fishing, best to avoid those areas, it's just not worth it.
    Likes footballcoach, DaveB40 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I just go somewhere else RR

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There will always be those that have no etiquette. Seems the very small waterway is ripe for competition and conflict. I fish for fun. If it is not fun, or I come across those that are irritants I move on. Not worth it to me. Take the high road... maybe it will "catch" on.

Matthew 6:14 - For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast