HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie crankbaits

Does anyone fish for crappie with cranksbaits like the crappie maxx and stuff I've never had much luck using them I mostly use jigs

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to the Mississippi forum and read some of the stuff there. The answer is a resounding YES!! It's a lot of fun.

Welcome from Central Florida.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I use crank baits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks BigRedCrappie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I do use crankbaits for crappie and do catch them on those. It is surprising how large a bait a crappie will hit. I have caught crappie on crankbaits as large as a Rapala JSR7 and on soft plastic swim baits 4 inches long.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite technique involves crankbaits.
    Likes ozarks ranger LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cranks work, but they seem to be best suited for warm to hot water conditions (70 deg & up) ... when Shad schools are roaming around in open water. They also seem to be more effective on White Crappie, than Black Crappie, although Black Crappie can be caught on them.

I haven't used cranks all that much, pushing or pulling them, but when I have done it ... I have caught Crappie. Some were not much bigger than the cranks themselves, some were under the length limit, and some were keepers. Some weren't even Crappie (I've caught a few Catfish, too !!)

I've even caught Crappie while longline trolling with cranks, though I was actually "fishing" for Hybrid Striped Bass.

As with any bait or presentation method, you don't "always" catch fish when using them ... but, when applied at the proper time & place, and under the right conditions, your odds of success increase.
    Likes FIN, mac crappie LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to c.c ! Yes they work great . I have never been skunked while fishing crank baits .check out the Arkie cranks they make a great bait at a good price.a lot of folks like the bandits and they r good but usually about twice the price
    Too blessed to be stressed!
    Likes arkcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely my favorite way to crappie fish. Like mentioned above make sure you find a lake with white crappie (my biggest problem where I am) because it is rare to catch a black crappie on crank baits although they do occasionally hit them. Favorite colors are naturals, silvers, pink black and chartreuse mixes. I love it because you never know what you are going to catch. I have caught 10 lb stripers, 15 lb flatheads, huge bass, and huge crappie do it. It is not a numbers game. You are not going out and putting 90 in the boat like you can long lining or spider rigging, you may only get 10 or 15 instead, but they will generally be much bigger. Lots of fun. I use bandits almost exclusively because I know exactly what each series will run. I use a trolling plate on my 140 hp suz to reduce speed down to about 1.5 mph. You can use a trolling motor, but I really have not seen a difference with the noise the big motor makes and it is just easier for me in my skiff. Good luck.
    Likes Greenedog, ozarks ranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Have caught 3 crappie over 3 lbs. and several 2+ on baby hellbender with blue back!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_0491.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  55.1 KB

First crappie is on a crank for me lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast