Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: transom question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default transom question...

I have an older aluminum boat, and the wood that is on the outside of the transom is probably as old as the boat and needs replaced. I had a good idea, and wondered if any of you had an opinion. I was thinking about replacing that wood with something I have never seen before on a boat transom...1/4-inch plexiglass. Do any of you all have any opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the plexiglass, but my boat and motor mechanic just replaced a transom board and used treated plywood coated in fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't recommend acrylic (Plexiglass) or polycarbonate (Lexan). I would recommend MDO plywood or treated plywood with several layers of marine varnish. I had some on the back of my little alum. boat for several years and never had a problem with it. Just make sure it is sealed on both sides and all edges and holes.
    You can paint over the marine varnish if you want to match the boat color.
    Good luck.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably just go with wood here too. Covered with fiberglass resin or varnish or paint. Assuming you aren't doing the whole transom, just where the motor mounts, Plexi would probably work too. maybe thicker than a 1/4" though if there's much stress on it.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the wood on it now. Didn't know about the plexi. Thanks for the info and suggestions. I guess the old addage is right...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!