Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I have no clue !

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have no clue !

Why or what the reason was behind the ever present classic crappie mood yesterday . I hit 2 spots and both were what I consider slow in comparison to the last few visits to both . The fish were not aggressive at either spot and I know not why . Both of these spots have been really good and the crappie VERY aggressive for about 10 days , the spots are an hour apart and one is a small lake and the other a small river .
    To top it all off the spawning fish at the lake left the bank and were roaming in a rather random manner as well ? To make it even more interesting the male fish didn't exist at either spot ? It was aliens abducted them I tell you , not a single male fish in any of the numerous spawning beds they were on sunday ?
    And then when one is randomly paddling around and whacks a good one 2 foot down in open water 14 foot deep with ones rod just dragging the bait along side the john boat while we paddle across the lake is like ...what the heck ?
    Now to make it even more interesting that was the ONLY fish that took a "moving" jig as well and it was like teaching children how to ketch a fish I tell ! If you moved your jig AT ALL you wouldn't get bit , so I told my bud DO NOT move that jig and keep your hands off that rod .Just lay your rod down and wait a bit and the float will go down when you least expect it .....
    most of the fish were randomly managed in water about 12 to 14 foot deep and about 2 foot to 30 inches under a float DEAD still . We hit the lake from 6 pm to 8 pm and after it got good and dark they went bye bye ....and NO they didn't go shallow like I thought they would when it got dark either ???
    on a final note the whites and blacks were together doing the same exact thing as well ...random roaming ?
    hope you enjoy the read and photos and all fish were left to do whatever it was they were doing
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post and pic's.Called the "spring fling"as my late grandfather use to say.A bunch of females ready to hatch but everything is not ready.one day their shallow the next their deep. That's why it is fun to me figuring them out.Looks like you did.enjoy your post and pic's.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice crappie. With crappie you never know. I have kelp a somewhat log of what crappie was caught when where how day hours fished etc. for a couple of years now and when I think I know what I am doing or they will be doing they throw me another curve ball. Thanks for sharing the report and pictures.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Good report. I now have the correct bobbers and Pepop is making me some of those Karrot jigs. Since you posted he raised the price to $45 each but I was able to have him reduce the price to half. Can't beat a half price purchase according to my wife. Water warming up on Lake Austin to 62 degrees but not finding crappie yet from the bank to 24 fow. Will continue looking for them in the channels. Thx Ketchn for letting me know nothing is easy or predictable. That keeps me searching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    Wow! Nice crappie. With crappie you never know. I have kelp a somewhat log of what crappie was caught when where how day hours fished etc. for a couple of years now and when I think I know what I am doing or they will be doing they throw me another curve ball. Thanks for sharing the report and pictures.
    Side question: on your log... I was thinking about writing a phone/tablet app to do what it sounds like you do on paper. Would something like that be helpful? I'm not doing it for profit, more for learning, so it would be a freebie to anybody who wants to try it - just wondering if people could use it before I spend the time/effort on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There are too many variables to consider weather front, wind direction, amount of sunshine, fishing pressure, was there some type of hatch going on. One lake I fish during bright sunny days they are schooled up in the middle of nowhere just roaming around, on cloudy days or towards evening they are spread out all over. I finally figured out what was going on, this lake has phytoplankton it rises off the bottom once it is dark or heavily overcast. After dark running the depth finder I can see this layer rising off of the bottom and it is loaded with fish feeding on it, along with bigger fish feeding on the smaller fish.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ya did good!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

you have interesting adventures Ketchn and always interesting stories of how you catch them. enjoy them thanks.