HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: where do the big crappies spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Default where do the big crappies spawn?

I live up here in wis I can find the 9-11 in crappies beds. But the big slab I can't find . The too lakes I fish are stained with no weeds, I find the big ones ice fishing in 20-25 ft then the ice goes and the big ones go. plezzzzzzzzze help. Name:  1-19-2015-2 001.jpg
Views: 3801
Size:  56.1 KB
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been to Wisconsin, but I would imagine the spawn would be the same as here in TN. My understanding is the males, usually smaller fish, are guarding the nest. The bigger females will be staging in the deeper water out from the nests. She comes shallow, deposits a portion of her eggs, and moves back to the deeper water. That is how I comprehend the spawning process anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by broz View Post
    I live up here in wis I can find the 9-11 in crappies beds. But the big slab I can't find . The too lakes I fish are stained with no weeds, I find the big ones ice fishing in 20-25 ft then the ice goes and the big ones go. plezzzzzzzzze help. Name:  1-19-2015-2 001.jpg
Views: 3801
Size:  56.1 KB
    hate to burst your bubble, but the big ones are in the south - Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas.
    Retired golf addict
    Likes broz, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibmack View Post
    hate to burst your bubble, but the big ones are in the south - Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas.
    Uhhh ... I hate to burst "your" bubble, but Wisconsin has a state record Black crappie @ 4lb 8oz & a White Crappie record of 3lb 13oz. SO ... they grow'em pretty big up there in the Northland, too !!
    Likes broz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Like I say, I've never been to Wisconsin, but you can thank my town, Alcoa, TN for Randall Cobb!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    Like I say, I've never been to Wisconsin, but you can thank my town, Alcoa, TN for Randall Cobb!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Uhhh ... I hate to burst "your" bubble, but Wisconsin has a state record Black crappie @ 4lb 8oz & a White Crappie record of 3lb 13oz. SO ... they grow'em pretty big up there in the Northland, too !!
    Yep. But those were on Yankee scales.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.
    Likes broz, Cane Pole, jwilson48, BoarBuster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibmack View Post
    Guess you have never seen some of my post.

Post Thanks / Like

2 things to remember .....first off male crappie get just as big as female crappie ...so it aint just the gals that get big ...they are NOT bass !
    second thing to remember is the larger fish may spawn earlier than the younger ones as well .....
    during the prime time anyone can ketch them spawn here but the average size aint much ...
    before the anglers come out in droves when folks say they are not spawning is when we find really large fish spawning .
    and never doubt how big a male fish can get ....I managed a 16 male black last year that was over 2 lbs. and...
    a 2 lb 4 oz male white that was jumping like a bass multiple cartwheels on the hook up ...
    they may also be spawning in a bit deeper water than the smaller fish as well ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks Jman5626 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ketchn, Thats what I was thinking a little deeper water, And I know that male crappie get just as big. Thank you
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast