Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cloudy sky

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cloudy sky

What colors/ baits work best for you when it goes from sunny to cloudy/rainy? Is jigging still productive during this time? How does this weather change what the fish are doing? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    -Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I go to the darker colors on cloudy days. Black, Brown Junebug Green Pumpkin Watermelon Seed With good results. Lighter colors on bright days. Jigging works most of the time for me sunny or cloudy

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    What colors/ baits work best for you when it goes from sunny to cloudy/rainy? Is jigging still productive during this time? How does this weather change what the fish are doing? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    -Jesse
    I mostly use baits with contrasting colors (blu/char, purple/char, etc), so I rarely change colors due to the presence or absence of clouds.

Jigging, IMHO, is the best presentation when fish are deep, or hugging close to heavy cover, or concentrated in a small area that's not readily accessible to other presentation methods. Even so, I'm more likely to use the "Vertical Casting" method in those instances, than actually vertically jigging.

I'm not sure if it going from sunny to cloudy, or cloudy to sunny, changes what the fish are "doing" as much as it changes the depth at which they do it. Crappie are ambush predators, and the best case scenario for an ambush is to be around cover that's in the shade, or at a depth where they're out of the "light" and their prey is not.

Best tips I can give you are :
    Fish your way to a spot that looks promising, rather than running straight to or on top of that spot.
    Cloudy days ... fish are usually schooled loosely around/above cover.
    Sunny days ... fish are usually schooled tighter to cover or inside the cover, or around deeper cover.
    Shaded banks with cover in the 5-15' depths generally hold more fish than banks without shade.

And if you take pictures while on the water ... have the sun at your back, and use the sky or bottom of the boat as your background. You get better pictures, and you don't include the bank or area you're fishing that can be recognized by "anyone" viewing the pictures you post (giving away your location).
    Likes blue-jig, FIN, timd3200, crappie flash LIKED above post