Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights For Night Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lights For Night Fishing

Hello everyone! This is my 1st time here and it looks like a very informative site. I was wondering what some of you use for floating/submersible lighting at night? I only have the 9" green tube light. I cannot seem to keep it away from the boat after I toss it out, even after putting some weight on it, it ends up right next to the boat. Are the floating Fish-N-Lites(spotlight type) a better choice? If so, which one would be the better, the 26,000 cp or the 300,000 cp ? How far out should I have it from the boat? What about battery drain on these? I do not have a way to charge up when on the water. TIA for any info , Jeff in NW PA.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Woodguy. This is a great board and you will find lots of good tips on it. I have been nitefishin for over 20 years, first for trout in the Finger Lakes and now for crappie on Lake Wylie SC. I have always used a clamp on "mechanics lite" that is available at any hardware store. I cut the plug of and attach terminal connectors to the split cord for hook up to the battery. I use 50W incandescent 12v bulbs available at RV dealers. I clamp the lite on the bow rail and angle it so it shines on the water about 3' out from the boat. It brings up the bait just fine. I have tied up with guys using submersible lites and haven't noticed any difference in performance. But lites are like anyother piece of fishin equipment, everyone has their favorite. Good luck.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by WoodGuy
    Hello everyone! This is my 1st time here and it looks like a very informative site. I was wondering what some of you use for floating/submersible lighting at night? I only have the 9" green tube light. I cannot seem to keep it away from the boat after I toss it out, even after putting some weight on it, it ends up right next to the boat. Are the floating Fish-N-Lites(spotlight type) a better choice? If so, which one would be the better, the 26,000 cp or the 300,000 cp ? How far out should I have it from the boat? What about battery drain on these? I do not have a way to charge up when on the water. TIA for any info , Jeff in NW PA.
    Welcome to Crappie.com Woodguy. I moderate the Pa boards, and see you are from north west Pa too. Come read our messages and post, for local fishing, and of course post here for topics, where you get many different opinions on. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing Light draws bugs and fish

If I were going to do some night fishing I would use a submerged light out a bit away from my boat. This I would hope would be seen by the fish and not by the bugs. But if I had to draw bugs in order to draw the fish in then I would get a lantern that I could suspend out away from the boat and out over the water. This would let me get out of the light and away from all those bugs. I hate bugs. Fish must love the bugs as they eat the bugs.

Where can someone get a good lantern holder that could be attached to the boat? That would be something that the Tite_Loc guys should make and sell. They could have it attached to the spider rig thing or those dual seats that they sell.

Regards,

Moose1am

ashbytna Guest

Default Night Fishing Light

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    If I were going to do some night fishing I would use a submerged light out a bit away from my boat. This I would hope would be seen by the fish and not by the bugs. But if I had to draw bugs in order to draw the fish in then I would get a lantern that I could suspend out away from the boat and out over the water. This would let me get out of the light and away from all those bugs. I hate bugs. Fish must love the bugs as they eat the bugs.

Where can someone get a good lantern holder that could be attached to the boat? That would be something that the Tite_Loc guys should make and sell. They could have it attached to the spider rig thing or those dual seats that they sell.
    Cabelas sells a "Cleat-on" lantern holder that attaches to the boat cleat for $14.99, plus shipping. I just purchased 2 of them for my 1760 aluminum boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Woodguy , I use the styrofome floaters and I have lots of luck with them.As for the lights sitting close to the boat, That never bothered me a bit.As most of the big fish I catch come from the outside of the lights anyway.I hardly ever have more than two rods right in the light and they are generally the slowest rods all night.Hope this helps.Eric.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost forgot, the bugs are a lot less of a problem with the lights right at water level , as they stay where the light is.Eric.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. What about battery drain? Do you know what the candlepower is?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Take an extra deep cycle battery for the light

As I was getting ready to quit fishing yesterday I saw a guy launching his boat. He went to the same spot that I had fished and caught about 30 crappie and started fishing. After dark he was fishing in the shallow water near some natural wood cover that was left in the lake after it was filled up with water.

He talked to me as he was preparing his boat for lauch as I was fishing right next to the boat ramp. He said he was going to do some night fishing. He planned to fish from 8 to 10 pm and then go home. I asked him as he was heading across the lake if he used a light. He said that he had a light he bought from bass pro shop that had styrofoam wrapped around it that let it float right on top of the water. He also said that he used a extra battery just for the light. I asked him how the battery held up and he told me that he used a spare battery so that he would not run down his trolling motor battery.

I may see him again as he probably fishes this lake a lot and so do I. Next time if I see him I will ask him how he did that night.

Thanks for the info. What about battery drain? Do you know what the candlepower is?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Woodguy , I to use a seperate battery for my lights .They are both 26,000 cp.and I get a whole nights fishing out of a battery.Usually I fish for about 6 hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast