Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota Advanced Autopilot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota Advanced Autopilot

On the newer models, it says 'Advanced Autopilot' which uses GPS to stay course. I've read and heard some that don't like it.
    I'm in the market for a new trolling motor and have operated the original I-Pilot on one of my friend's boat and thought the Autopilot (circled N icon) feature and cruise control was awesome. I will use almost exclusively for longlining. Are these features still available on the newer models? Minn Kota's website isn't very clear on what the exact features are. Or, am I over-analyzing the wording and it's still the same feature?

Post Thanks / Like

I think things are the same.... with some improvements along the way. You might get better information by going to the minn kota page and clicking on support. Then "owners manuals" and download some of the user manuals that they have for the motors you are looking for. They describe the features pretty good. Hope this helps.

Joe

dallman is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the newer ones with bluetooth. It still has the old autopilot. I advanced is different and am still truing to learn it. But love the ulterra. The new spotlock is great. I have been spider rigging lately and will start long lining as the water warms. If you are going to get one you might as well download the manuals they don't come with them.

Don
    Retired USN

Post Thanks / Like

I have a first generation Ulterra. While I have had some issues with it not stowing on 3 occasions I love it. I just got it back and that is supposed to be fixed. Now having said that you are talking about the latest iPilot. It has same features as older iPilots with a few added features and vastly improved spot lock. All I do is fish and research fishing. I have yet to find any negative reads on the improved iPilot. Now I am still doing the research but I am about ready to pull the trigger for the kit to bring my first gen Ulterra up to the new iPilot specs. That will be a 500 dollar upgrade. Lot of money and if I had been reading negative reads about it I wouldn't be doing it. I use auto pilot and cruise a lot and have never had any issues with it. I also use spot lock a lot and the only issue I have ever had with it is when using in calm flat water. Sometimes the boat would not stay in the spot where I had the bow pointed. I would say on spot but the rear of the boat might be facing the direction I originally had the bow pointed at. Everything I have read is that this issue has been fixed. If you go to YouTube and search for videos from Pickwick Marine they have some great videos of the improved spot lock. But as I said earlier all the older features are still there.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The new has both advanced and legacy autopilot. Basically if you draw a line in a map, advanced will try to stay on that line no matter what way it has to point the boat due to a cross wind to stay on it. Point in a direction and legacy will keep you pointed in that direction even if a cross wind is blowing you side ways.

Xpress H20PFC with 150 Vmax SHO
    Ulterra I-pilot Link networked with Helix 10 SI Bow and Dash
    SpyderLock's on the front and Tite-Lok's on the back
    Creekslick Rod Holders and Millennium seats for Summer
    Thanks fltcrew21 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So, it sounds like the legacy Autopilot is still there, but I can choose to use the Advanced version? That's what I was hoping for, thanks for clearing it up.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem, yes advanced/ legacy is a menu option that can be set from the remote or from a Helix if you get a Minn Kota unit with ipilot link instaed of just ipilot.

Xpress H20PFC with 150 Vmax SHO
    Ulterra I-pilot Link networked with Helix 10 SI Bow and Dash
    SpyderLock's on the front and Tite-Lok's on the back
    Creekslick Rod Holders and Millennium seats for Summer

stormcloud is online now Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Push and hold the N (navigation) button. The N will have circle around it. Keep holding until the circle goes
    away and you will be on legacy. When the circle is around the N, you are on advanced.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

If I add I link to my older I pilot, a new Helix 9 G2N will I get the improved spot lock? As I am not impressed with the spot Lock I have now. And yes its a older model terrova with I pilot.

Thanks
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe 50 View Post
    If I add I link to my older I pilot, a new Helix 9 G2N will I get the improved spot lock? As I am not impressed with the spot Lock I have now. And yes its a older model terrova with I pilot.

Thanks
    Nope.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast