Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lund boats

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lund boats

Does anyone have any experience with Lund boats? I have recently been looking at one for possible purchase and according to the dealer they are the best thing since sliced bread, but it would be good to hear from anyone that has one or knows some pros and cons about them. They are riveted instead of all welded and I don't know which is really best. Any opinions out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Of course a dealer is gonna say things like that, thats his job to sell the boat. Most people will tell you to go with the all weld. I have never owned a riveted boat, but I have had to scoop water out of several of my friends boats that I fished out of. They all leaked. Sometimes I scooped more than I got to fish. I would never own a riveted boat myself. Thats just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Scales:
    I spent the better part of 18 months looking for a boat and finally bought one last spring. I had decided early on to stick with aluminum for several reasons.
    I looked at welded vs rivets and heard horror stories about both. Also heard good things about both. THere is a lot of controversy but I think it boils down to quality control.
    Lunds are considered great boats and many people consider them the leaders in Aluminum boats. THey are very pricey compared to some brands. ALumacraft is considered a top notch boat also. I could not afford a new boat and after a very patient search, I got a good deal on a 'as new' 4 year old Lund that fit my needs perfectly. I found in searching for used boats that Lund holds its value as much as any boat (Especially if you are in an area that is fished by Lund fishermen.)
    Your best choice should be a boat you feel comfortable in and can fish out of easily. Also consider the dealer and his reputation. Many manufacturer's make good boats.
    If you are leaning toward the Lund, go to walleyecentral.com. Check the forums in the boats and motors section and you will find thousands of comments on lunds and other brands.
    I am very pleased with my boat and feel the quality is as good as I could hope for. I expect it to last a very long time.
    *A lot of dealers will try to get the boat package price down by hanging a smaller motor on the boat. Unless you only fish small lakes, get the maximum horsepower your boat is rated for, you won't be sorry and if you have to sell your boat, it will be easier.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine has the 17' explore with a 115 merc efi, it has been a good boat for him. He has had only one problem with the boat, the paint started to peal off part of it. Lund took good care of him and the boat, but the only problem was that it took several months to get it up north and brought back home. From what I remember it ran in the low to mid 40's.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Match to use

It isn't widely known, but the first toilet seat was
    invented by a saleman in the 18th century. The invention was
    later modified by a user who put a hole in the seat.

The Lund boat has a fine reputation. Top of the line boats from a reputable manufacture will give good performnace.I don't believe riveted horrow stories apply to Lund quality.
    I was looking for a boat last year and decided on fiberglass, because the profile on the Lund is higher for the same lenght boat. I primarily troll for crappie in your area of the country and wind is more a problem with boat control at slow speeds rather than operating in high waves. Trolling numerous rods is a common practice in NC. It that is a tatic you plan to use make sure the rods can be mounted where you will be comfortable sitting and watching them all day.
    I have a friend who owns a 21 ft aluminum. He now wants to mount enough rod holders to tight line eight rods or flat line 16 rods. There is nowhere to mount the holder stands and still sit in the seat and reach the rods. It is a wonderful boat for other purposes. That boat is not a Lund.
    If you know how you want the boat set up, you are ahead of the game. If not, don't rely on the dealer unless he fished just like you do. Get advice from others who are fishing the same way you plan upon fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Rivets vs Welds in Aluminum boats:

Here is my experience from owning a Fishermarine Water Strider III Aluminum Boat since 1978. My Aluminum boat was put together with rivets and also welded in several areas. In the over 25 years that I have owned this boat I have had three rivet heads break off. And I had a welded seem split open 1/4" and along a 6" welded line.

The rivet heads were repaired by welding the hole in the outside of the boat shut with a heliarc weld. The seam was welded shut also. It costs about $60 an hour to have the welding performed in Southern IN where I live.

I have also used small amounts of JB Weld to cover rivet head that have come off. The JB weld has worked well and stay on since 1990.

Today the only leak that I have in my boat is from the livewell and that only leaks when I pump water into the live well. Once I get that piping fixed that leak should be gone.

If I were to buy another aluminum boat I would look at one that is all Welded.

Rivets are going to have the heads break off eventually and unless you can put in a new rivet you are going to have to repair a small 1/4" dia hole in your boat.

I would go with a boat that uses thicker marine grade aluminum. .100 or thicker. I would also go with a boat that had a front end design that cuts though the water.

My boat is furnished on the inside and the rivets are inaccessable. That is why I could not just replace the rivets. I would have to tear the sides and floor out of my boat to reach the spots where the rivets needed to be replace. If you have a bare bones boat then rivet replacement would not be so hard and is the recommended way to repair the rivet.

Look around at the different boats and go for a test ride before you buy any boat. Try it out on rough water and see how it rides when going into big waves. I wish I had known to do that when I bough my boat as I would have waited and got a different boat. Now I am limited to fishing in calm water and don't venture out in the rough waters. My boat is getting too old to take the poundings that I once put it though. Yea I use to go on on KY lake and Patoka Lake when it was rough but those days are over now. I just can't afford to have another rivet head pop off. LOL

A lot depends on where you intend to fish. Are you going to fish on big open water or rivers or on small lakes or ponds?

I have used the Lund Boats when I went on fishing trips in Ontario Canada. They were used extensively up in the North. I was too young to pay attention to the way the boats were made. To me they were just a rental boat.

Take your time and do the research and make sure that you get the boat that you really want and can afford. Buying a boat is like marrying a woman. You will be spending a lot of time together.

Quote Originally Posted by Scales
    Does anyone have any experience with Lund boats? I have recently been looking at one for possible purchase and according to the dealer they are the best thing since sliced bread, but it would be good to hear from anyone that has one or knows some pros and cons about them. They are riveted instead of all welded and I don't know which is really best. Any opinions out there?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I think Moose has it right. If you go with welded, make sure it is thicker. WHen I made my decision, I owned a welded john boat that I really love - takes a real beating (Starcraft).
    However I have traveled in Canada for over 20 years and everywhere I went, Lund riveted boats were in use. You know how rentals take a beating, but the worst abuse I witnessed was on the reservations or native fishing camps. Incredible what they do to their boats. THey were usually Lunds. I have a friend whose family owns a fish camp and he told me they have riveted boats approaching 50 years old that still don't leak. THey just turn them over in the fall and let them sit out all winter.
    For those reasons, I felt secure in getting a quality riveted boat if the right deal came along. It did and I am very happy with the boat.
    Bottom line, get a boat that suits the water you will be fishing on and can fish the way you want to use it.
    Good luck

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 2005 Mr. Pike Lund, last Oct. Only took it out about 7 times( if that many). Handled very nice. Sits high in the water to handle the waves well. Slow trolled quite a bit better than my tracker did. Also heavier than the tracker so the wind doesn't push it as fast. The more i fish it this spring, the more i'll find out what it can do for me. I have a Honda 50 hp 4 stroke on it and a 50lb thrust troller in the front. Only put gas in it 1 time and still have a full tank. I hope to have it for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

TAE73 I have a 90HP Merc Optimax and when it's just me in the boat, I hit 52 mph. With two adults, a livewell full of water and a full tank of gas, I still got 43 mph. I thought that was pretty good for a 17' 1" long and 87 inch wide boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default lund boats

Thanks to everyone who replied about the Lund boats. You have given me some very useful information that I can use to help me make my decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast