Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow troll / spider rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slow troll / spider rig

I am getting into slow trolling and spider rigging. Will only use 4 rods for now.

I bought a 12' BnM Westpoint rod at wally world for 25 bucks to try it out. To me it seems pretty flimsy for trolling but then again I haven't ever done it.

I need 4 rod/reels(baitcast) and not looking to spend a fortune. I fish stained lakes so I figured 12' is long enough? Someone point me in the right direction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use 3 rods, myself ... but, they're 14' rods. I started with 10' rods, but they don't work so well if pointed forward & moving at any speed. I "Push" jigs out the front of my boat ("pushing" is like Spider Rigging at a higher speed).

I don't have any, and have never fished with any, but Southern Crappie Rods are used by several members ... and they seem pleased with them. They're Kevlar, not graphite, so they should be quite light & strong. They're also fairly inexpensive, in comparison to other major brands of equal length.
    You might want to check them out : Southern Crappie Rods - Southern Crappie Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pappy.

I know you get what you pay for but I was hoping to stay under $30 each. I'll spend a little more for quality, though. What flex would be good for slow trolling and spider rigging or do they make them in different flex?

Also, as far as baitcast reels, what would you recommend?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathewjp View Post
    Thanks Pappy.

I know you get what you pay for but I was hoping to stay under $30 each. I'll spend a little more for quality, though. What flex would be good for slow trolling and spider rigging or do they make them in different flex?

Also, as far as baitcast reels, what would you recommend?

I use low profile baitcast reels with a thumbar. I'm just using what I had on hand & what I bought "used" off the Personal Classifieds Forum on this site. All three of them are different brands (Diawa, Shakespeare, Quantum) and are spooled with different colors & types of line.

I don't know as to long rods having different "tip actions" in the same model. But, different brands do have slightly different degrees of bend with the same weights used. For instance .. my BnM PST rod will not bend quite as far down with a 1/2oz weight, as my Capps/Coleman rods do ... but, it's almost an imperceptible distance, unless you measure it. The C/C rods have just a little softer tip action. I just adjust each rod holder angle to keep all the tips at the same distance above the water.
    I rarely get "lite bites" when pushing jigs (0.6-0.8mph) ... but, my Spider Rigging buddy likes the Capps/Coleman rods, over the PST's, because he says he can see lite bites better, due to the softer action tips. He's using 16' rods & 3/4oz weights, and normally moves at <0.4mph. (and he's tipping his jig/plastics with a minnow)

Another problem I had with my 10' rods, was they were kinda stiff and didn't bend easily with lite biters. That's probably due to the fact that they're taylored to use as jigging rods, rather than trolling or Spider Rigging rods. I would expect a 12' rod, with a softer tip action, would show lite bites a little better.

Post Thanks / Like

Definantly look into the southern crappie rods. I started out with 12' west points and they are tough and will get the job done but they leave you wanting something better. I would recommend you go ahead and get the 14' southern crappie rods. I dont use bait casters myself i stick with spinning reels.

Post Thanks / Like

I started out using BnM Westpoint poles. They are effective, though a little flimsy for landing big crappie. I used Shakespeare Alpha spinning reels that I bought a Wal Mart. This setup lasted me a year, and then I upgraded significantly. I know it is cliche, but...You get what you pay for.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 BnM Black Widow 13.5 foot telescoping fiberglass poles with mini Bucks level wind reels. Have been using them for years. They are a good cheap setup that you can get from BnM website. They are especially good if you want/need to store them off the deck. I also run a max of 4 poles up here in MI.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

14 footers I forgot to say work for me
    Likes pb crappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pointers, fellas. Keep them coming. I can't wait to try this out.

Post Thanks / Like

B&M 14 foot pst rods and 4 bait casters is what I started with grizzly jig has best prices from what I've seen good luck
    Likes "G", Gindog, lp243 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast