Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: TRY ANOTHER WAY

Post Thanks / Like

Default TRY ANOTHER WAY

Since I've got into the Long lining fishing. Always fish from the back of the boat. I've got a fishing trip coming up where I be taken two of my buddies with me and they will be fishing off the back. So other day I went by myself and done the Long lining from front of the boat. Well that went real well just had to space my rods in the right matter. Who all does the Long Lining from the front.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

I did all the time in my old boat. Was no problem, only need to make wider turns to keep lines from stacking up against hull in tight turn and tangling.

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the only way I do it .i fish mostly by my self and stay on the bow most of the time sometimes someone goes with me .as long as the folks on the back pay attention to where the front mans lines are and they fish on the inside Of front lines and or behind front lines .i have several guys that we hardly ever have a tangle .but one or two that can't do nothing but tangle.(lol )sure is a joy to fish with others though.

Post Thanks / Like

My new tourney partner has fished 4 rods on the front and 4 off the back ever since he started long lining. Works great with the right length rods for spacing. Creekslick and several more here fish some poles in the middle of the boat too.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.
    Likes waterdog101 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer longlining from the front of the boat. Gives me better depth control of the boat especially with the depth finder right in front of me. Trick is to get your rods out in front of you too so you can easily watch depth finder and your rods. I finally found the sweet spot on mounting my two Spyderlok rod holders up front. I can spider rig 8 rods with them or when I want to longline I just easily rotate the top of the rod holders to the side and the rods are still out in front of me for longlining. I use a 14' and 10' Southern crappie rods on each side. The longer rod lengths gets more bites being away from the boat and also helps a lot when making turns. Took me a while to get the right combination but this works very well for me. I caught 17 catfish (yes, counted them) two weeks ago longlining this way on crappie curly jigs. Had the front and rear livewells on my new Ranger RT188C full of fish for the first time. Was hoping for crappie but the cats were all around the balls of baitfish. Trolled at .08mph and used a 1/8 oz jig to get it down where the fish were. It was loads of fun and some hard work. Smallest channel cat was about 2lbs and largest was over 10lbs and I was by myself. Lots of fun but also lots of fish cleaning.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have worked it out to my satisfaction, and don't mind going solo. Many have seen me doing this and commented. I turn my console electronics around so that I can see em from the front. I have an old bass boat that doesn't have acres of deck, so I take the post out of the front seat and drop the seat to floor level. The mount is near the back of the front deck and it works great. At arms length towards the back of the boat just a little, are rods holders on each side that hold 4 each. When all set up they look like wings. The front rods are 12' and are 90* to the side of the boat. Then 10's, 8's, and then 6's. 12's get the most line and get shorter as the rods get shorter. Wide turns are necessary but easy to get used to. Leave the outboard in gear and your lines wont get wrapped up in the prop. I also can fine tune the speed just a tiny bit by raising and lowering the outboard. Sitting low in the boat keeps the wind signature down and windy days don't affect me near as bad as in past boats. Hopefully this offers something you can use......Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

same way as Skeet, but I run 16,12,8 and 5

Post Thanks / Like

from the front I have a 14 ft and 12 ft off each side spaced out. then 4 7ft strait out the back works great. long poles up front catch more fish than the 7ft out the back

Post Thanks / Like

I long line from the front all of the time. 1st rods for word are 12', next are 7' then 4.5'..spreads them out some. Plus, I have passengers in the back of the boat. Lol..

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Likes GTDFisherman, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I longline from the front of the boat because it's easier on my back to sit in the drivers seat at the console. I run 16, 12, and 8' rods out the side and if I'm fishing with someone I'll add two 6-footers to narrow the gap.