Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Striper Techniques and tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Striper Techniques and tips

I enjoy a little striper fishing myself from time to time. Something that works very well for me is vertical jigging blade baits one fish are found on the fishfinder. It seems to be better when the fish are holding deeper than 20 ft, probably due to the clear water I fish for stripers. A very aggressive lift of the rod, 5 or 6 feet, often gets them biting. This may be something everyone does already, but I just wanted to share it. Those 15 lbers sure put up good fight and make a great meal. Hope this helps someone.
    Greenfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips

Thanks for the tip GF.I have read a few articles about jigging for stripers,but never really tried it.I guess I should start trying a few new approaches might increase the ratio a little.

Post Thanks / Like

We troll stretch 25s and 30s for stripers in the ocean. we also use mo jos and big bucktails. Colors very from day to day. Fish from 20 to 70 feet. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip Greenfish. I just started striper fishing this year, mainly just to try something different. I look for any help in learning the techniques. The other day when I was out I was marking fish holding at 17 feet in 20 feet of water around some structure. I anchored away from the structure and was casting different baits back to it. This caused me to hang up a lot and loose several baits. I think I should have used my trolling motor to hang over the structure and used your jigging advice to get to the fish. I will give it a try next time I go out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Manz
    Thanks for the tip Greenfish. I just started striper fishing this year, mainly just to try something different. I look for any help in learning the techniques. The other day when I was out I was marking fish holding at 17 feet in 20 feet of water around some structure. I anchored away from the structure and was casting different baits back to it. This caused me to hang up a lot and loose several baits. I think I should have used my trolling motor to hang over the structure and used your jigging advice to get to the fish. I will give it a try next time I go out.
    Let me know how it works for you if you get a chance to try it. I use a 1/4 oz blade bait a lot of the time, it's good for the stripers plus you pick up an occasional bonus fish from time to time. Last time out we caught kentucky bass and white perch along with stripers. Always a good time.
    Greenfish