Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Old Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default My New Old Boat

Ok guys I know this is a long post with several pics but bear with me. I have told a few of you over the past few months that I was restoring an old Ranger boat to be my “New” crappie rig, so I thought I would share my old boat’s story and some pics of the process. I bought the boat which is a 1974 model TR-10 Ranger about 10 years ago. Just for my own curiosity I contacted Ranger and tried to find out as much as I could about the boat. According to the folks at the Ranger Boats factory, back in the day that this boat was manufactured you could basically tell them where you wanted everything and they would put it there. (Much different than the way most new boats are ordered today) I was told it had “Factory Modifications” done as they were building it. They said this was evident since the letter “F” is at the end of the serial number and the livewell and storage configurations are arranged differently than the regular TR-10.

How this whole boat transformation came to be is a story all its own. I have bass fished all my life and fish several tournaments each year but I have always loved crappie fishing. Recently, my family and I moved, and now live on a good crappie lake and this just made me delve into it even more. I really became caught up in it after fun fishing several times with a friend of mine who is a crappie guide, along with reading posts and looking at the pics on Crapppie.com. Since I already had the boat and my 6 year old daughter adamantly didn’t want me to sell it, I have been working to make it into something she and I can use to catch “Crappie”.

Ok, as far as what has been done to the boat. Since I have owned it I have only used it on a small limited horsepower lake so I had a 9.9hp engine on it. Now that we live on a much larger lake I replaced the 9.9 with a 50hp. Mercury. When I bought the boat it was partially restored which put me in a good position to finish the job. I have had the gunnels re-glassed in red to get rid of the 10,000 holes that had been drilled in it over the past 40+ years. I only had to buff and polish the hull. I tried to get original “Ranger” plastic emblems for the sides but due to its age, the Ranger factory didn’t have any. They did however, send me oldest emblems they had so I used them on the sides and kept and used the one original emblem on the console. I made a deck extension for the front which will allow me to use the underneath for storage. The boat did not have any seats in it when I bought it and it really didn’t matter before, but now I am in the process of adding seats over the livewell lids. The fishing seats I had from a previous boat. I also installed transducers and Structure Scan just like my bass boat so now I can switch my Lowrance units from boat to boat and have Structure Scan, Down Imaging etc. The rod holders are a combination of Cumberland Crappie 360’s (front) and Hill’s (rear). I have arranged the rod holder bases so I can Spider Rig from the front, Brushpile fish off either side with rods in the front and back or Longline with 8 rods in the front and 4 in the back. The boat is really too narrow to fish 2 people out the front so I just worked around that issue and set it up so we can fish out of the front and the back. The three white transport holders I made out of BassPro Shops 4 position rod racks, 3/8” all thread and pipe hangers for the bases. I currently have a MotorGuide 46lb. foot control trolling motor which will do fine for most of my fishing, although I am considering a Quick Release Trolling Motor Mount so I could possibly use a remote controlled motor for Longlining in the future.

I know she isn’t a new ride but one I am proud of nonetheless. My daughter and I have had fun working on it and she can’t wait until we can go try her out.

I have attached several pics, some of which are from the previous owner as he began the restoration process, some as I was working on her and some of how she looks now that she’s finished. I also put in a few old advertisements that I thought would make you appreciate just how much fishing boats have changed over the past 40+ years. I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for letting me share and tight lines to you all,
    Richard

Name:  Rnager.jpg
Views: 6265
Size:  48.1 KBName:  Rnager 3.jpg
Views: 5380
Size:  71.0 KBName:  Rnager 2.jpg
Views: 6323
Size:  85.1 KBName:  Ranger 9.jpg
Views: 5061
Size:  39.5 KBName:  Ranger 4.jpg
Views: 4980
Size:  49.7 KBName:  Ranger 7.jpg
Views: 8093
Size:  36.1 KBName:  Ranger 6.jpg
Views: 4920
Size:  51.4 KBName:  Ranger 5.jpg
Views: 4933
Size:  52.3 KBName:  Ranger 8.jpg
Views: 4896
Size:  36.4 KBName:  Ranger 11.jpg
Views: 6998
Size:  65.6 KBName:  Ranger 10.jpg
Views: 4964
Size:  48.2 KBName:  Ranger 16.jpg
Views: 5892
Size:  37.0 KBName:  Ranger 15.jpg
Views: 10127
Size:  57.8 KBName:  Ranger 19.jpg
Views: 4854
Size:  59.7 KBName:  Ranger 14.jpg
Views: 5117
Size:  58.8 KBName:  Ranger 12.jpg
Views: 11829
Size:  68.5 KBName:  Ranger 17.jpg
Views: 4763
Size:  35.6 KBName:  Ranger 18.jpg
Views: 4760
Size:  112.5 KBName:  Ranger 13.jpg
Views: 7523
Size:  85.8 KB

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

OUTSTANDING !!
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That is AWESOME. Even more that you got to involve your daughter in the transformation. Neither one of you will ever forget the time spent together.

I'm stuck indoors due to an ankle/foot injury so most of my day is spent watching fishing vids on YouTube and visiting Crappie.com. Earlier today I watched footage of the '72, '73, '74 and '83 Bassmaster Classic and my first thought was how cool the boats were.

That is a true piece of American fishing history. Hope you guys enjoy it.
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!
    Likes fish getter LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I 'll say .......its Awsum....thats a classic....you did a good job.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work! You have a classic that has passed the test of time.

I remember very well when those type of boats were the rage in bass circles. I remember the 1st local guy who bought a bow-mount trolling motor. We all thought the concept was strange because up until that time, the only trolling motors were transom mount clamp on units.

Funny story, it was around 1970-71 when friend of ours bought a fiberglass hull bass boat with what I remember to be about a 70 HP outboard. Years have faded the memory of what brand it was. He launched it at the ramp at Port Ken Bar Marina that my Dad managed. He idled it around to the gas dock where we all slobbered over how beautiful it was and what a step up it was from the aluminum jon and v-hulls with skulling paddles and 18HP outboards we were all used to. He idled away from the dock and to about 1/2 way to the breakwater. He pushed the throttle wide open and the boat stood straight up in the water but wouldn't let the nose down. He did this several times then turned it around and limped back to the dock. We all took turns guessing what might be the problem as our friend went from red-faced embarrassed to red-faced mad. We finally got our mechanic away from what he was working on to come out and check it out. He stepped into the boat and sat down at the console. He fooled around with the throttle for a bit then got to wondering what the switch on top of the throttle did. When he pushed it, we heard a noise coming from the engine and the lower unit dropped lower into the water. We all, boat owner included, had just discovered what a trim switch was and what it did. Needless to say the owner was happy and his next try at planing the boat off went off without a hitch.

Enjoy your beautiful ride and watch out for Forrest Wood coming by to reclaim it.
    Last edited by M R Dux; 02-13-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes fish getter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...That is a super cool boat,great job!
    Likes jaxsprat, fish getter LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a beautiful old boat and something to cherish and enjoy. Many happy memories will be made in that boat by you and your daughter.
    Likes jaxsprat, fish getter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

very nice! good job. we used to have a 74starcraft like that. it was a stick steer though.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. I believe I had just as soon have a old boat like that as a new one....Great job!!!! One of the reasons I guess I really like that boat is I was growing up when that boat came out new and it was what everyone wanted.
    Last edited by flintcreek; 02-13-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    Likes jaxsprat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Very very cool. Thanks for sharing!
    Likes jaxsprat LIKED above post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast