Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What lb. test line do you like for main line when spider rigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What lb. test line do you like for main line when spider rigging?

Ok, to finish up my setup for spider rigging, I am looking for suggestions for what lb. line most people prefer? I have 4 - 14ft southern crappie rods, just bought 4 left hand quantum ultrex baitcast reels, and have a spyderlok holder. The reels came pre-spooled with 8lb red cajun line. I will be taking some of that off and adding a hi-vis line. After reading through the recent topic of favorite hi-vis mono lines, I am leaning towards trying the vicious panfish line. My first thought was to get some 10 lb line to use as the main line and use some 6 lb line (either more vicious or maybe fluorocarbon) as the leader after the swivel. Then my second thought was to go ahead and ask on here to see some recommendations. I know to some extent it's personal preference, but reading through a bunch of the spider rigging threads has my brain tired looking for this detail. So I decided to ask about it directly. I will be moving around, but not in a heavily wooded lake. However, I do have my share of brush piles that I will spend some time just sitting and vertical jigging over with this setup too.

On my spinning reels, I use power pro super slick 8, in 15 lb test, hi-vis, and tie a 6 lb fluorocarbon leader and really like it for casting and such. However, I have read several comments about the tendency of braid to wrap around the tip while spider rigging, and didn't want to fight that on these poles. Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Crappie 6 or 8lb test hi-vis. I really like 8lb. Allows me to bend hooks out when I get hung on stumps etc. Usually fish minnow rigs with floro leaders but catch just as many fish with a jig or minnow hook tied to the hi-vis main line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes akaslyguy LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am kinda the exception to the rule. I use a fused line like fire line that is 12/4. I build my own C&C rigs using 12 mono. Tried floro and hate that stuff. I like braid or fused line because you never have to change it. The fused does not wind wrap like the older braid. Like smaller diameter wor less water resistance when pushing.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: Some lakes where I fish are full of snags. I use 20 lb. hi vis braid for the whole rig and just pull out of all the snags bend the hooks back in shape and keep fishing . Never found Crappie to be line shy. I catch just as many as my buddies in the boat with their 6 lb. line except they go through more tackle than I do. Good Luck . O - R

Post Thanks / Like

I use 8lb. Hi vis for the whole rig,I experimented using clear mono leader but didn' seem to make a difference.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

10-12 main . 8 lb. leaders .

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

10 lb. main line 6 lb. on my rigs.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

dallman is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use power pro depth hunter 15 LB and then use 8 LB stren for the leader.
    Retired USN

Post Thanks / Like

10# Vicious Hi-vis, 12#floro Vicious for leaders and hand-made CC rigs

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I am kinda the exception to the rule. I use a fused line like fire line that is 12/4. I build my own C&C rigs using 12 mono. Tried floro and hate that stuff. I like braid or fused line because you never have to change it. The fused does not wind wrap like the older braid. Like smaller diameter wor less water resistance when pushing.
    Can you tell me the brand name of the fused line you use?
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast