Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Under The Ice

murdock1978 Guest

Default Under The Ice

Does anybody have any info about catching crappie's or bluegills under the ice at night??Would a brite lite shining thru the ice attract them? Any info would be great!-thanks-

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen pic of people that will drill a hole to fish through and ther one to two holes drilled almost all the way through and in those you put candles in them to light up the area. weather or not it works i don't know. but i guess that if the ice was thin enough you could just place some lanterns around your hole and that should work.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

neat led in new cabela's catalog. I am getting one I think. otherwise a lantern might work. non-through holes on ice are plain dangerous and stop promoting the idea, please.

murdock1978 Guest

There is about 2 ft of ice and about 6 to 7 inches of snow,its pretty dark under there. I wonder if the fish would be attracted to the light and maybe even bite a hook.How good can a crappie or a bluegill see under low light conditions??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie At Night Through The Ice

Times New Roman12red
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock1978
    Does anybody have any info about catching crappie's or bluegills under the ice at night??Would a brite lite shining thru the ice attract them? Any info would be great!-thanks-
    Using a light through the ice at night works as long as it is legal. Better to use a live bait (night-crawler, shiner (1 1/2" length). Crappie are light sensitive. Good luck.