Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outboards and Gas

Post Thanks / Like

Question Outboards and Gas

When I had my two stroke outboard, I un-plugged the gas line and ran the gas out of the carb. everytime I took it out of the water and never had trouble with my carb. I also never used a fuel stabilizer, because I use my boat year round. Now I have a four stroke and someone told me it's better to leave the gas in it and use a fuel stabilizer. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like

If you use your boat all the time there is no need to drain the carb or use stablizer. I really dont understand the need for a fuel stablizer if you use your boat often. I think its just a selling gimic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tunica
    If you use your boat all the time there is no need to drain the carb or use stablizer. I really dont understand the need for a fuel stablizer if you use your boat often. I think its just a selling gimic.
    That's what I thought. I wonder what length of time your boat is going to sit determines if you put a stabilizer or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine sits from late July till the middle of November.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fishnline,
    I don't know about you but my motor is the most expensive part of my fishing equipment and is the last thing that I want to have problems with. So I take a little more precaution when it comes to my motor and gas. First thing I did when hooking up my new outboard was installed an external fuel filter between the tank and the motor. This will help separate any water or junk from reaching the motor period. Just good peace of mind. And it's easy to change out.
    I also use fuel stabilizer every time I fill up my tank. I have no worries about how long my fuel has been sitting and whether or not it's varnished or has condensation in the tank. The fuel will stay fresh with stabilizer.
    And besides, you never know when you will get a batch of bad gas from the pump. A little extra insurance goes a long way with me. My motor cost me way to much to mess around with bad fuel.
    But everyone has there own way of thinking and doing things. Just my $.02.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freeflow_23
    Hey Fishnline,
    I don't know about you but my motor is the most expensive part of my fishing equipment and is the last thing that I want to have problems with. So I take a little more precaution when it comes to my motor and gas. First thing I did when hooking up my new outboard was installed an external fuel filter between the tank and the motor. This will help separate any water or junk from reaching the motor period. Just good peace of mind. And it's easy to change out.
    I also use fuel stabilizer every time I fill up my tank. I have no worries about how long my fuel has been sitting and whether or not it's varnished or has condensation in the tank. The fuel will stay fresh with stabilizer.
    And besides, you never know when you will get a batch of bad gas from the pump. A little extra insurance goes a long way with me. My motor cost me way to much to mess around with bad fuel.
    But everyone has there own way of thinking and doing things. Just my $.02.
    My motor is more that I paid for the boat and previous motor put together. I have a Yamaha 15 hp that I've had for about a year and a half. I got some bad gas, water in the tank, or something and ended up having to get the carbs rebuilt. Picked it up today....$300. I got the bad gas several months ago, cleaned out the filter, poured out the gas, and thought everything was fine. I guess some of it got in the carb. and settled. I know I don't want to have to get it rebuilt again.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you run that outboard on a regular basis there's not really a need for any stabilizer, however if it's gonna set up for a while stabilizer or Sea Foam should be added to prevent it from souring and varnish forming. Deposits in the carburetor orifices will cause problems from high speed to idling.

I'm not sure if the small inline filter will remove water, they make a thing called a fuel/water separator that looks like an oil filter though. Water is a major culprit to bad running engines as well as engine damage.

I can verify that old gas will foul up a carburetor. I overhauled a 1949 Mercury "Super 5" outboard that had some serious varnish all inside the carb and gas tank. It took some time to get the inner workings cleaned up but I got it running. The same thing can happen to today's engines.

Post Thanks / Like

$300.00 for a carb rebuild on a 15!!!!!!!!!!

You have got to be kidding!!!

I don't know who took you to the cleaners, but I'll buy you a new carb and replace it for that!!

That must have been a typo,,,,,, right????
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

WOW.. I got 3 carbs rebuilt on a 150GT for around $135 ... $90 in 3 carb kits... I have seen the results of Staybill, and it works. I knew I needed to get my carbs rebuilt, but I also knew it was going to be awhile before I could do it. I put Staybill in the tank, and it sat for several months. When they started working on it, it would not start at all. They pulled the fuel line, and the fuel was brown as dirt. Once the fuel got out of the line and into the tank with the Staybill, it cleared right up.
    Joe

-----------------------------
    Still learning this crappie thing.
    -----------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I used to get my engine repair done at a Marine Technical Institute where they teach marine mechanics. The instructor told me of a demonstration that he does at the beginning of every school year.
    He said that he takes 2 clean baby food jars and fills them with fresh gas. One he adds a couple drops of Stabil fuel stabilizer and the other he does nothing. He puts lids on them and sets them on a shelf for the duration of the school year.
    He said within a month or two the untreated fuel starts turning a different color and by the end of the school year it had already started to gel!
    The jar treated with Stabil was as fresh as the day he poured it. This was a very important lesson that he wanted his students to know and understand.
    Do I use Stabil in my '88 Mercury 35? You better believe it!
    Last edited by slabbandit; 02-28-2007 at 09:14 AM.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast