PDA

View Full Version : Shiner Trap

hopsing the crappie king
01-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know of any kind of shiner trap or will a regular fish trap work instead?Any particular bait to use to catch larger ones?

unknown 5
01-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Instead of a minnow trap in the summer, I use a minnow seine and catch alot of shiners. I seine small creeks and ditches. It works better with 2 guys but 1 guy can do it.
You can buy good minnow traps at about any Walmart. Cracker crumbs make good bait for them.

tarfu
01-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know of any kind of shiner trap or will a regular fish trap work instead?Any particular bait to use to catch larger ones?

howdy; i use some dog food the dry stuff. i put it in a nylon mesh bag so the bits can float out like a chum slick. sometimes use it while i'm fishing.
good luck. tarfu

Speck1
01-18-2005, 11:47 PM
I am interested in learning about this too. I know in Florida they have shiner traps that are made out of slats back up in the backwater sloughs etc. I wish now I had studied them more when I was down there. My understanding is, this is how they are commercially caught to supply the bait shop trade. Does anyone have a design or dimensions? Speck

Kokanee King
01-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah does anyone have plans to make one yourself because all the lakes are flooding around here and i need something to do.

PGottshall
01-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Here's a minnow-trap made from plastic soda-bottles.

Paul

Homemade Minnow-Trap (http://www.boyslife.org/workshop/minnows.pdf)

crappie_king_07
05-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Does anyone have any tips on catching shiners if so please reply