Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using worms on big water

Post Thanks / Like

Default using worms on big water

i tried searching old posts first but i either got hundreds of farming worm posts or nothing at all. so i have seen some coments on using worms but im geussing thats more small pond type fishing my question is are worms efective on big watter for crappie and if so how do you fish them, was thinking just tipping a jig with like an inch or two piece or maby on a double rig on a bare hook above my jig? im mostly a troller but im trying to expand so when the wind gets to bad to troll effectively i can throw out a sock and keep fishing
    Last edited by "D"; 02-11-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Worms work everywhere for everything. However, the bluegill will jump all over it before the crappie get near it.

If you're gonna use bait for crappie, minnows are your best bet.

Post Thanks / Like

yea like allot of pepole i started on crappie with a bobber and minnow, the lake im on we have a bigger problem with little channels than gills but there hard on minnows too

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azdesertrat View Post
    yea like allot of pepole i started on crappie with a bobber and minnow, the lake im on we have a bigger problem with little channels than gills but there hard on minnows too
    Just use jigs (jig/plastics) ... I do

Trolling longline - pushing - spider rigging - vertical jigging - casting - dock shooting - can all be done with just a hair/feather jig or jig/plastics ... no extra "meat" necessary.

The biggest factor in catching Crappie is finding where & at what depth they are, then comes presentation (which method & bait speed puts the bait in their strike zone the easiest, longest, and most often).
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yea i troll allot of jigs and cranks but my lake gets realy windy enough to where its almost imposible to troll the main body where the fish are hangin right now so im sewing up a drift sock and going to do more jiging when the wind gets bad instead of retreating to the coves

Post Thanks / Like

I've had worms save my life when I'm crappie fishing. Always carry a cup of em just in case the bait shop doesn't have minnows on hand. I use dollar tree scissors to cut red worms into bits to tip jigs. But the strangest 2 incidents i had were catching a big crappie on two different trips during those awful, nothing will, gonna, want to bite cold fronts free lining a whole night crawler behind the boat. During those times, bluegill and slimer pestilence is greatly reduced. Last big crappie of 2016 (16 inches) was caught on a free lined crawler when I tied up to a bridge piling due to high winds. The first big one of 2015 was on a crawler chunk on a hi lo rig meant for white perch during another cold front.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try nightcrawlers this year because they are easier to deal with than minors. I also plan to drift for walleye with nightcrawlers because it has worked for me before. I never had a problem with Bluegill or other fish in deep water bothering nightcrawlers but suspect that in the brush and shallows it would be a real nuisance. If I remember I will let you know if I catch any crappie on nightcrawlers.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, yea i think im going to atempt it as well but with the amount of carp and cats in the lake it might be interesting, im think maby a 2" section rigged on a bear hook with a bead above a jig and try and keep it about 4ft from the bottom to cut down on bycatch

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows although minors are problematic at times too :-)

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azdesertrat View Post
    my question is are worms efective on big watter for crappie and if so how do you fish them? im mostly a troller but im trying to expand so when the wind gets to bad to troll effectively i can throw out a sock and keep fishing

When the wind is bad, or I am fishing deep water, I will sometimes go to my modified Carolina Rig tube. I will take a two inch hollow tube and insert two 6 mm solid floating fish pills in it. I insert a #4 thin wire hook into it and tie it on six pound test line. I attach this to the Carolina Rig. The tube will float perfectly horizontal and it is light enough to be quickly and easily inhaled. I will sometimes tip the hook with a Crappie nibble or a bit of Red Wiggler worm. Done deal. Get your hot sauce ready. Here is a photo of this idea.

Name:  Carolina Rig.jpg
Views: 6171
Size:  57.7 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes wolfhnd LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast