Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winter Crappie Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter Crappie Questions

Hey guys! With the temperatures being a little crazy this winter I've decided to go ahead and start doing some crappie fishing. I've never really done any fishing during the winter. I fish a fairly large lake in Southern Indiana. The lake is super low right now with stick ups and other large stumps out of the water. My question is I normally Spider rig for crappie and was wondering if this is a good time to do that. Any tips or advice on fishing during this time would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Likes ozarks ranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Winter is a time for small baits and slow and even slower movement. Find them and put it just above their noses.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes ozarks ranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to mark the bigger stickups on your GPS so you can find them in the summer. Crappie should hang around them for vertical fishing. Act like you are ice fishing and keep it slow.
    Likes ozarks ranger, skeetbum, chippo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Lake Hartwell in South Carolina. 56000 acre lake with 1000 miles of shore line. Average depth is 45ft deep. The weather here has been crazy as well but the crappie have been biting in water as shallow as 10 feet. Longlining and spider rigging has been working very well. I would just find some of the major creeks on your lake and find some shallow water and start trolling.