Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting bobber and jigs on 10 foot rod, best ways to extend range?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting bobber and jigs on 10 foot rod, best ways to extend range?

At my home lake the most successful guys cast off the bank using fixed bobbers to their brush piles and I havn't been successful at getting my rigs out far enough. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Need to be 10 foot deep and frustrating that I am consistantly short but I am a tightliner or swim my jigs so this is not a strength of mine.

Also T hill my home lake usually has a good wind blowing and the waves make seeing the light bite is another skill that I am lacking at. trying different bobbers this time, need to have weights on them or you are not getting out there. including 4 inch weighted bobber, rocket bobbers and Thill weighted sticks. I'm determined to figure this out as we did well last time but the locals still out fished us and were polite enough not to make fun of us. They have shared where they piles are, just can't reach them and that is really frustrating.
    Likes Thunderingjoe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All my float rods are 12-14', so casting a 10' fixed rig is not a problem.

If a longer rod is not an option, you can always use a slip float. (I prefer a fixed float if I can get away with it.)

For floats, I use nothing but wagglers. The Thill wagglers will support a lot of weight and can be cast a mile.

Post Thanks / Like

use a heavier float, or use lighter line.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the plastic slip floats with 6 lb hi vis and a 4 lb leader. With the light line and heavy float I get good casts even in the wind. I'll adjust the diving weight as needed to drop it in the column when and where I want it. I will also use just the bobber stop for depth reference when I'm casting and retrieving. On my yellow line I use a pink stop. When I see it come out of the water I know the depth and can work it better.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

And set the hook alot for ghost bites.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    All my float rods are 12-14', so casting a 10' fixed rig is not a problem.

If a longer rod is not an option, you can always use a slip float. (I prefer a fixed float if I can get away with it.)

For floats, I use nothing but wagglers. The Thill wagglers will support a lot of weight and can be cast a mile.
    I have Thill weighted bobbers but havn't seen a waggler. first time I saw it referenced was on here a week or so ago about a guy who made them. will search for them online have never seen them at BPS or Academy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hdhntr View Post
    I have Thill weighted bobbers but havn't seen a waggler. first time I saw it referenced was on here a week or so ago about a guy who made them. will search for them online have never seen them at BPS or Academy
    I've been here for eleven years and have written a lot about them. (I think my first post back in 2006 was about wagglers.) Just search for "waggler" under my name.

Here's the link at Bass Pro. Cabela's and FishUSA also sell them:

Thill Gold Medal Series - TG Waggler | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

Wacker Baits sell some Drennan wagglers (including the puddle chucker, which is a waggler):

Floats

All Drennan floats are excellent, but they don't take as much weight as the Thills. If you want to try a Drennan, I'd get the "4 AAA" size (or 2 SSG which is the same as 4 AAA.)

Post Thanks / Like

With slip cork, yes
    And with that, I'll see you on the water...
    John
    Remember to take your kids fishn'

Post Thanks / Like

Listen bro, I've spent plenty of $$$ on these Thill Bobbers. I have both the WOBBLER and the Weighted-SLIP-Bobber made by, Thill. Let me give you my best set up and works like a charm ...

We fish 5-20 ft deep and it works. Go with the slip. Now, get this .... go to Wal-Mart and look for Rocket Bobbers. You get 2 a pack. One is yellow top/orange bottom. The other is orange top/yellow bottom. Grab you a Thill Slip Bobber Stop (best out there) and use the little bead that comes with it. Throw that Rocket Bobber on there and you'll be set! Just bring the stop straight up to the tip of your pole and clip the Rocket Bobber on there, cast out and when it falls, you'll be at 10 ft. And this bobber cast a mile!! It lays down on the water and as soon as a fish puts it in his/her mouth, the bobber will stand up. Trust me! I fish from the bank 85%. I have this set up on a 6 ft pole too.
    Likes Thunderingjoe, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Brewer View Post
    use a heavier float, or use lighter line.
    erin bought a bunch of weighted cigar type big floats, rocket bobbers, thill weighted and slip. going well armed we will see how the execution goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast