Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transducer Cable

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transducer Cable

Can a Transducer Cable be spliced back together ? I hit a stump today with my trolling motor and some how when my t.m. mount broke away like it was supposed to, my cable was in the way. My unit has been on the water three times and this really made me wanna cuss. But I didn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I smushed my cable in the trolling motor bracket and spiced it back. This slice is out if the water cut the temp wire oops but gonna get throw over thermometer so I can check different depths for temps but unit seems to work fine lots of tape to make water proof.

TT

Post Thanks / Like

Default splicing

just be sure to do a good quality connection as to not inhibit the transfer of data up the line. Thransducer cables are very sensitive and a bad connection or corosion on the connection will hurt performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Solder it, then use liquid electrical tape and heat-shrink tubing to seal it. Works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have repaired them also just use very small heat shrink for the inner wire....pull the sheilding wire over the outside of that and then a larger heatshrink over that.
    The sheilding wire must make contact also ....this is important.
    I will post a drawing later
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I fixed one once and it did o.k. but when the water got threw the tape you could tell the thing would start messing up
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

Tape won't hold out the water...use heat shrink.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it using shrink tubing, but had to re-do it cause it wasn't water tight. Had to seal over shrink tubing with 3M urethane sealant like what the auto windshield people use to glue in these new windshields. lol

Post Thanks / Like

The break is at the top of the trolling motor. I don't really see wher and or how it got pinched, but it did. The only water it will get is from rain. So it aint like it will be under the water all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minnerman
    The break is at the top of the trolling motor. I don't really see wher and or how it got pinched, but it did. The only water it will get is from rain. So it aint like it will be under the water all the time.
    You must use heatshrink regardless...It is the only water tight seal.
    the fact that the wires has already been in the eliments the corrosion has aready started even if you can't see it and it will migrate up the wire so it is a good idea to trim a few inches off from either side of the damage before making the repair..
    good luck Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast