Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winter Pond Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter Pond Crappie

I'm heading to a state park that has a 27 acre pond Tuesday, managed by the state DNR. Apparently it has black crappie in it. I was there a few weeks ago and there were still tons of weeds in it. Supposed to be a nice warm day, around 70-75 for a high with a chance of rain that night. Any ideas to try other than slow moving jigs under a float? They rent jon boats so we may get one for a few hours, or fish from the bank.

Pond does NOT allow minnows so it's all jigs.
    Likes Crappie Trooper LIKED above post

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a float and run your jig just over the weeds. Good luck
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
    Likes Crappie Trooper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

With the temps being that warm, I don't see why a simple cast & retrieve presentation would not work. I don't think you need to worry about slowing way down in order to get some action. What is the water temperature? That is the most important factor in deciding what kind of presentation to use. Sure, a bobber rig always seem to work. But it's slow and tedious. If the water is above 50 degrees, no reason not to try a cast & retrieve presentation first.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    ... I don't see why a simple cast & retrieve presentation would not work.... Sure, a bobber rig always seem to work. But it's slow and tedious. If the water is above 50 degrees, no reason not to try a cast & retrieve presentation first.
    Agreed. Lose the float.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And if'n you want to move it a little slower, try a curl tail on a light head, if you can cast it. Beetle spins are another consideration for slowing it down. I've used some with the blade about nickel size and an eighth ounce head and slow rolled it just above weeds and near branches hanging in the water, and they thump it too.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Go tiny on the jig and use a bright orange head and body with a chart tail .....apply a chart crappie nibble to the hook point and use a very small pencil float ......try close to the bank or weed line early and go deeper when the sun gets up .....that's how I would approach it for sure
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales