Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Split Shot/ No Float

Post Thanks / Like

Default Split Shot/ No Float

I just caught a crappie on a 1/32 marabou jig with 2 split shots (about 6 inches above the jig) and no float. Does anyone do this (i.e. fish with split shots above a jig and no float)? I took the float off and left the weight on because of the wind, and I am suprised how well it seemed to work.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the only way I fish now. I use 2 fairly large split shots with a hook or one split shot with a jig. I put them 4-8 inches above the bait but I do still use a slip Bobber stop just as a quick visual refrence to monitor depth. This is my first year doing this way and I will never use a bobber again spider rigging. Everyone around my parts that I know always used bobbers but I am so glad I tried it with out! It's much easier and in the wind there is no comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/64 ounce Trout Magnet with one size "B" split shot above the jig about 12-18 inches.....works great for me.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We generally do this very same thing ng but troll around the lake at around .08 mph and catch tons of crappie,,, sometimes we lighten it up by using only 1 splits hot when fish are higher, 2 if around 15 ft or better
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I do that when casting over brush.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "D" View Post
    I do that when casting over brush.
    What is your reason for this?

Post Thanks / Like

A good rigging. Remember though, successful fishing needs to predicated upon only two major contributing factors - depth & speed control. Don't get tied up with one particular presentation; rather vary it according to the conditions you are facing. Sometimes the float will work better. Sometimes it won't.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    A good rigging. Remember though, successful fishing needs to predicated upon only two major contributing factors - depth & speed control. Don't get tied up with one particular presentation; rather vary it according to the conditions you are facing. Sometimes the float will work better. Sometimes it won't.
    How far will crappie and panfish move to eat? As in, if the water is 6ft deep, will they hit a jig a few feet above/below them?

Post Thanks / Like

that would depend on the mood of the fish and water clearity. we have had to bump them with the camera before to get them to even move. other times its a v line on the surface to get your jig, from 4-6ft!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFisher View Post
    How far will crappie and panfish move to eat? As in, if the water is 6ft deep, will they hit a jig a few feet above/below them?
    Sometimes they will chase it quite a distance ... but, generally they don't move very far (especially when they're in or close to cover). It depends on their mood at the time, as to how far they will move to intercept a bait. It may also depend on water clarity, temp, and any current (if present).

If you consider where the eyes of the Crappie are placed on their body, their best vision is "above" them, while their least visible area is below them. That's not to say that they can't "feel" the bait below them, and would never go deeper to catch that bait ... it just means that the majority of the time they're positioned to be watching for something to eat "above or at" their level.
    Likes akaslyguy LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast