Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Helix 7 question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Helix 7 question...

I bought the Helix 5 last year for up front on my troller. It works great, I love the features, and am very pleased. However, I am really thinking about the Helix 7 with side-imaging for my console. It would be mounted off the transom. With that being said, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I have never had a SI unit before. Wouldn't the water displacement near the motor screw with the graphing? I have a nice unit (without SI) on there now, and it does screw with it. I don't want to go "thru hull", and don't want to spend the extra money on it if it won't work right.

Someone give me a little help here!

Mrwillis

Post Thanks / Like

I have a helix 9 si on the consul and to get a si image on the left side I need to tilt the motor up. I'm usually going pretty slow when I'm looking for something so it works for me. People that have a jack plate on the boat don't seem to have the problem. I really like my helix 9 si, it will show fish off to the side!
    midnight

Post Thanks / Like

It would be fine as long as it's mounted so the outboard is not blocking it as it has to shoot out each side. If you like me and don't have a jack plate that moves the motor back further from the transom you just have to trim the motor up a little bit while your scanning with your unit. To answer question though water displacement won't screw with it anymore than another unit. In fact imo you really want the unit in the back as you wouldn't get good si pics off of a trolling motor mounted unit unless your traveling strait. Ideally when using you side imaging you want to travel as strait as possible at a slow speed to get the best images possible.
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!

Post Thanks / Like

Some say that 3-5mph is the ideal speed for SI, which is usually right at idle in gear or a bit more throttle. Each boat & set up is different as well.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Helix 5 SI GPS on my trolling motor, and just recently bought a Helix 7 SI GPS for my console, just like you. I haven't mounted the transducer for the Helix 7 yet, but I plan to mount it above the bottom of the boat. As jmp says, 3-5 mph is as fast as you need to go when scanning w/ SI. Running on plane does you no good since you don't have time to see any fish or structure to mark it, and your transducer is up out of the way in case you happen to hit any obstacles. I learned a lot about side imaging and transducer mounting from watching Humminbird you tube.
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown