HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RODS 14'ers or 16'ers

Post Thanks / Like

Default RODS 14'ers or 16'ers

loooking to get a set of 16' or 14' trolling rods for spider rigging mostly around 1/2-5/8 ounce rigs and maybe a touch of trolling cranks/roadrunners i normally just fish ky lake and Grenada in the spring so fishing 4-12 foot of water would i ever be unhappy with the 16' poles??? kinda nervous 16'ers would be awkwardly long and more hassle than they benefit been fishing 12'ers for years and handle them very easily i plan on fishing pretty shallow this spring im going to get the southern poles just cant decide between 14'ers or 16'ers thanks for any input

Post Thanks / Like

After you get used to fishing them..either size should be fine....I have both sizes in Southern Crappie, and love them..I like to have a net man when fishing the 16s
    Thanks Anchor Mouse thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with KnightShadow .... if you're used to 12' rods, 14' rods are not a great deal of difference. I went from 10' to 14' rods with no great learning curve. I don't "spider rig" per se, but usually use my 14' rods to push jigs (& occasionally cranks). I use BnM PST & Capps/Coleman 14' rods & usually 1/2oz - 3/4oz weights for pushing jigs/cranks ... while many of my spider rigging & crank pushing buddies are using 14-20' rods and 3/4oz - 2oz weights.
    Likes dusty_allen LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 12 and 14 southern crappie. Had the 16 and did not like them because I fish by myself most of the time and found them to much to handle in a 17 ft boat by myself. Like Knightshadow said you pretty much need a net man fishing them. I have found the 14 to be much more user friendly.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes ad1974, Eagle 1, dusty_allen LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

INTERESTING thanks for the response any other opinions??
    Likes dusty_allen LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 BnM PST16 ftr's and really like them. When fishing shallow water I would think longer the better. I have fished 14s and they are easier to handle. I used my 16's in my friends boat and it was only 17 ft long and it was tuff putting them some where going to the dock and back. Not a problem on the water after you got them in the rod holders. I have a boat on order and it is a 19 fter and it should make it better for the long rods. I really feel a person should get what feels best for them. If I ever get any new rods I will probably get 14's since I already have 4 16's. Hope this helps.

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Southern makes 14 ft rods that are rated for 2 oz weights for pushing and pulling cranks. I used the regular 14 and love them. Tried the 16 and they are just to long for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Southern Crappie rods 14 ft that are rated for 2oz weights. I got them for cranking, but my partner has been using them spider rigging 1/2 Oz weights, and they seem to work just fine. He catches as many or more than I do on my 14 ft BGJP's. Don't misunderstand, I really like the BGJP's.

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught fish both on KY Lake and in Mississippi, and they have been with primarily 14 ft rods.
    I started with 12 ft, but I really like the 14 ft due to increasing the distance from the boat, my wife can only handle the 14 ft rods, and I fish alone alot.

14 ft PST's are the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of a 17 ft Tracker boat and we use 14 ft rods,6 of them rigged out the front most of the time when slow trolling.With the size of my boat I don't think I would want a much longer rod then 14 ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast