Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Favorite Crappie Outfits

Birmingham, AL, hailing from Dawson Springs, KY
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite Crappie Outfits

Hey guys and gals, new to the forum, but not to fishing. I'm just curious what everybody's favorite crappie outfits are. What rods, reels, and lines do ya'll like? Favorites for jigging and favorites for casting?

Post Thanks / Like

you can't go wrong with Wally Marshall stuff from Bass Pro Shops - for the money the quality is very good
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I,m a vertical jigger. I like the B n M 12' ultra lite and a West Point crappie reel. I use these for the lite wieght. I can hold one these at arm length all day fishing brush piles and such.
    Biguns only:D

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tightline at night and really like the Berkley 5' Cherrywood UL rods with a Mitchell Avocet 500UL reel. The reels have a decent drag and should anything ever happen to it I can take it back to Walmart for a free exchange.:D The rods have enough backbone for a slab crappie but they are so sensitive a small minnow will make the tip move. The whole set up under $40.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    I tightline at night and really like the Berkley 5' Cherrywood UL rods with a Mitchell Avocet 500UL reel. The reels have a decent drag and should anything ever happen to it I can take it back to Walmart for a free exchange.:D The rods have enough backbone for a slab crappie but they are so sensitive a small minnow will make the tip move. The whole set up under $40.
    The Berkley Cherrywood is a very tough rod too. I have a 10 footer I use for casting a jig and float I have just about doubled it up a few times yanking on logs and stumps. I think it will hang in there with a Ugly Stick.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

Post spawn to winter pattern I am a minnow man.....
    Use a 6' 6" Garcia rod with some backbone, 5600C Garcia, Berkley XL line 20# test, Eagle Claw 2/0 hook with a #8 weight (double hook my minnow)....
    Most of my fishing is in brush/timber & over christmas trees I have put out.
    20# test you can say is an over kill but most of the time the hook will give and you save it and the weight.....and every once in a while I will hang a big bluecat or flathead.....
    Like the old saying goes "you pay for what you get"...
    Good fishing..............

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use a 9 to 12 ft fly rod with a closed face spinning reel from zebco. i cast vertical jig and minows at night. best outfit around. been using it for about 17 years maybe more.

p.s. not using the same outfit just the same idea of flyrod and the closed face reel

keep on fishin
    fighting for this country(it can't always be someone ELSE'S SON)
    keep on fishin