Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My Wife Loves Zip Ties!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Wife Loves Zip Ties!

I was connecting my Ethernet cable to the I-Pilot link on the Minnkota; this particular connection will be pulled tight and run under the floor of my boat and come out in another location so as to not be a trip hazard. The ends of the cables are the standard threaded stainless steel type which screw together and probably would be sufficient to leave it at that but since it will be exposed to water splash and spray I wanted to take it a step further to make it more water proof so I wrapped the entire connection 3 to 4 layers thick with electrical tape, then since we all know that after awhile the last exposed end will start to come undone my wife had a great idea "zip ties"! So I secured the tape with some zip ties, thought I'd share this with you all in case you need a way to keep your tape from unraveling. The pics were taken before the excess was cut zip tie was trimmed off.

Name:  IMG_2193.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  36.0 KBName:  IMG_2200.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  85.2 KB
    Likes bkgooch LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That should work......I'm a fan of zip ties too,they come in handy.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a good job of doing the distance to make it waterproof. I only want to add another option that has worked very well for the folks in salt water down this way. It's known as liquid electric tape. Once you get done with what you have there, paint this stuff on past the end of the tape on wire and let it dry. One friend did a Mako center console and redid some of his electronics 4 years later. When he took a razor to the joints and took them apart, they looked like they did when he put them together 4 years before. I've been sold ever since.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Another option would be to use heat shrink tubing.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep heat shrink does a nice neat looking job and your done with it.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree heat shrink or liquid tape are both good options; but I tend to try to work with what I have on hand to save both time and money.