Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gotta Learn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gotta Learn

Well, I've resisted for a couple of years, but it's time that I learn to troll. Oh, I've dipped my toe in the trolling water a few times, but just never stuck with it. I am rather high strung, and all the rigging and unrigging tends to stress me a bit. Just like all of my fishing equipment from boat to rods, I don't have the best, nor do I have the worst. Here is what has brought me to this point, I am just not catching as many fish as I think I should be. Anyone else in this "boat"?

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If you roll a wheelbarrow around a barn long enough, you will get good at it.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes "G", Crestliner08, Redge, ET Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

On & off, we've fished (and trolled) out of a boat like this for 40 years:

Name:  OurBoat_zpse9487627.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  43.9 KB

Since the days of Buck Perry's Spoonplugging, up until present, the tried & true 12' aluminum skiff serves it's purpose well. From there, depending on your budget and tenacity, you can upgrade and upgrade and upgrade! In this neck of the woods we are only allowed to troll with 2 rods per angler, so this skiff fits the bill nicely. If you are looking to "spider troll" with multiple rods per angler, there are more qualified folks here to assist, I'm sure.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes ET Fish, moecarama LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ET Fish;3356561]Well, I've resisted for a couple of years, but it's time that I learn to troll. Oh, I've dipped my toe in the trolling water a few times, but just never stuck with it. I am rather high strung, and all the rigging and unrigging tends to stress me a bit. Just like all of my fishing equipment from boat to rods, I don't have the best, nor do I have the worst. Here is what has brought me to this point, I am just not catching as many fish as I think I should be. Anyone else in this "boat"?
    this is my setup. its all driftmaster. spiderloks have an excellent rep as well. Name:  014.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  67.4 KBName:  015.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  96.4 KBName:  012.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  90.2 KBName:  013.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  78.7 KBName:  12235092_10201075437803494_6290603794779830943_n.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  60.6 KBName:  014.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  67.4 KBName:  012.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  90.2 KB
    Likes ad1974, ET Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. Actually, I have most of the basics. Several long rods, Driftmaster t bars and holders, even 3 pairs of small planer boards. I don't have the best TM for speed much over 1 mph, but can get by. I also have the transport racks. I just have got to make myself do it!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and I can push a wheelbarrow pretty good!!

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll do fine then.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes ET Fish LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems you have most of what it would take. I too have a motor that runs a little above most folks, and trolling does alright by me. It's like anything else, there's a learning curve. Take everything else out of the boat that might tempt you to go back to your comfort zone, fish by yourself so that you can both concentrate and see the subtle things that slip past when you're talking with your buds. The color game comes into play some, so if what you think should be working isn't, go outside the box. I learned to roll jigs first, then cranks, and now even troll both at the same time. Sometimes. Pay attention to the electronics. There are things you will see that don't register right away because there is a time lag between what you see and the bite. Look for shad balls and the depth of the fish nearby. Hope this helps get you going. There is no magic bullet to load the boat like a conveyor belt, but when it works on a day when the planets all align, you'll be pulling some rods in because you can't keep up. Good Fishing......Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes ET Fish, chippo LIKED above post