Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishfinder Storage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishfinder Storage

Do you guys remove your fishfinders if it's going to be a few weeks till the next fishing trip? Or alot of rain betwwen trips? I use a good boat cover but I was thinking it mite better to remove the unit and store in the garage (dry). Wish I had room in the garage but the wife mite not like that.
    Anyway what do ya'll think.

thanks
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

I have two different brands of finder and I don't ever remove them. I just make sure they are not directly exposed to the elements. I have not had a problem with either one and they are several years old.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found if you leave them to the elements for too long they get fooged up, which can't be good. The main reason I bring mine in is due to an idiot up the road who was stealing fishing equipment for a while. He got a few rods and reels and a tackle box with about $300 of lures and tackle in it a couple years back. He's since been caught, but too late for me. Anyway, bring 'em in. They are too easy to remove to take a chance with 'em one way or another.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My boat stayed locked in a boat shed but I always bring my finder in the house when the temps are near/below freezing. I figure why ask for trouble.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Always take mine in unless I'm going in the next day or two.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

I take mine in also. It's not that big a deal to unscrew and pull off. Unfortunatley I don't have a garage, YET, to house the boat so it's under a good boat cover. Thiefs will just cut a hole in a boat cover and take what they want. No sense taking a chance on losing my $600 GPS.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow I was always "told" .....

that it's best to remove them from the holder, and store them away, when not in use. And it used to be that it was also a good idea to not have them hooked up when trailering the boat for any distance.
    My boats have always been outside, under a cover, and all my equipment stored in a closet. My fishing partner has a garage, but still removes the depthfinder and stores it in one of the boats storage compartments ... when parked in the garage, in a boat slip overnight (on fishing trips), and when trailering to and from the lake.
    It may or may not be "necessary" ... but, as others have said ... why take the chance ? ........ just MHO. .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Take it off...not much of a problem to do it, and it will allow you two things: Easing of your mind, and more money you can spend on something else than replacing a fishfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

I never mess with mine, I leave them plugged up year around and I have never had ant problems. But I also keep my boat in the garage.
    can't catch'em at home