Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trout Slayer ultra lite panfish rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default trout Slayer ultra lite panfish rods

Has anybody tryed one of these ultra lite 6'6" pan fish & trout rods put out by trout magnet ? I want to go super lite 2 lb. test & this rod is getting a lot of play. Thank you, Don in Ohio.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is that I've been using 2# test for years and have never considered a particular rod as being "super lite" to handle it. I'm sure that rod you ask about would do just fine, as well as many others on the marked today. I tend to favor the B n' M line up myself, but I do that without thought as to line size. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I'm sure that rod you ask about would do just fine, as well as many others on the marked today.
    Agreed. I have half a dozen rods that will handle 2# line.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most all 6-7 ft. ultra-lite and lite rods will cast 1/32 oz. jigs with either 2-4 lb. test . There are others here that will chime in on the 1/64 jigs . I am making that move myself .

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem with my 7 ft ultralight st croix. Pricey but fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to let you know this rod has a seriously fast tip. It is a great rod for the money...no doubt....and will cast 1/64 ounce jigs with ease. But keep in mind this rod was designed to catch trout.

Regards
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    . But keep in mind this rod was designed to catch trout. Regards
    How does a rod designed to catch trout differ from one designed to catch crappie?
    I've got one but haven't tried 1/32oz with it yet.
    Fin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIN View Post
    How does a rod designed to catch trout differ from one designed to catch crappie?
    I've got one but haven't tried 1/32oz with it yet.
    Fin
    That rod is deigned to fish small plastics...the Trout Magnet....and get a quick hook set on trout. It is a UL rod....make no mistake about that...but it is stiff....it has a very fast tip. I think most will agree with me that a crappie rod needs to be a softer action as crappie have soft mouths and with too much pressure you can pull the hook out when retrieving. Heck that happens even when fishing with rods designed for crappie. Trout have a hard upper part of the mouth. When you hook trout with a Trout Magnet over 95% of the time that hook will be in the top of the mouth....it was designed that way. A soft action rod can catch trout also using a Trout Magnet but I can guarantee you that your catch rate on trout will be much better using a faster tip rod. All I am saying it is not designed as a dedicated crappie rod. It is good rod and you won't find an UL rod on the shelf with that kind of action.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Alphahawk thanks for the explanation. It cast like a rifle. I guess drag adjustment will be crucial with paper mouths right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIN View Post
    Alphahawk thanks for the explanation. It cast like a rifle. I guess drag adjustment will be crucial with paper mouths right?
    Yes very much so. It is a great rod that was quite a while in the design phase to get what the owner of Leland's Lures wanted.

Regards