Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 961 blackhawk set up help

Post Thanks / Like

Default 961 blackhawk set up help

I have just received my new 961 Blackhawk and I have a few questions. My boat has new 115 pro-xs 4 stroke with CT gearbox and 21p Vengeance prop. Mounted to the boat with an atlas 6" hyd. jackplate. The motor is mounted one hole from top and the foot sets exactly at the flush with the button of hull. My questions is when I try to use the jackplate I blow out quick. So I guess the JP is useless unless I am extremely shallow water. I really love the boat the way she rides and handles. I am just trying to make sure I have the proper set-up. This is my first new from scratch boat I had built so I have a lot to learn. My previous boat was a Tracker 175 which I loved but with the G-kids I out grew. Another question is how fast can you run before the sonar is unreliable. I have a HDS9 3 Gen. I have the transducer mounted on the bracket WE supplied but feel like I am getting a lot of wash on the screen above 5 mph. Any tips or tricks you have with set up on boat or transducer will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the sonar is concerned You may have to tinker with the transducer until you get it just right while running on a plane. You should be getting a reading faster that 5 mph. Here is a decent video on your JP

https://youtu.be/x7rKI8PrTO4
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I will look at video and keep working on it. I have a lot to learn and looking for you experienced guys teach me.Thanks for the help
    James

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

James, your just going to have to play with your Jack plate settings. Leave everything at home and go to the lake and play with it until you get comfortable. Your going to have to drop it down to get out of the hole then trim motor up then try bumping plate up until you find the sweet spot at different speeds. Hopefully you have a water pressure gauge installed. If not you need to get one. You start lifting it up to much and loose water pressure motor won't last long.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

your jackplate is too high thats why your blowing out. don't give up on it they are great to have, just play with it....... does take some time. as far as your transducer it could be too close to the cavitation plate on the motor. mount it as far away as possible.