Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good setup for beginners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good setup for beginners

So, I have the basics. Like jigs and crankbaits and spinners. But I'm basically just fishing with my ultralite bass rods and reel I use for creek fishing. I'm looking to buy 2 new dedicated rods and reels specifically for crappie. What do you guys reccomend and why? Thanks!
    Likes cwright LIKED above post

BAMA S is online now Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow. I like custom rods. Bout 6' with some backbone to lift the fish.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

"Dedicated" to what what purpose ?? As in what method of Crappie fishing will you dedicate the use of these new rods/reels ?? Casting, trolling, jigging, etc. ?? Any specific price range ?? Are you looking for "adequate" equipment or high end equipment ??

Oh, and while I have your attention .... to Crappie.com !! And do come over on the Kentucky state forum and check things out, when you get a chance.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. I prefer the "Mr. Crappie" ultra light rods and open face reel or the B-n-M ultra lite rod and open face reel. You can find them at Bass Pro shops or Cabelas. DO a slip bobber setup and you should be dedicated enough to fill your livewell. Works for me.

Name:  Basic Rig.jpg
Views: 26632
Size:  41.3 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes BAMA S, Tom 513 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For rods and reels, there are a lot of somewhat specialized rigs for one technique or another. The Shakespeare Micro Lite rods in 7' (and 5'6" too) are versatile and I use mine for many different things, and they don't cost the farm. At about $18 each they take the sting out of buying. The 7' does well casting jigs, jig and cork, slip float, trolling and deep jigging, the 5'6" really shines in tight quarters. I use mine casting a short jig and cork, shooting docks, and casting into the brush and overhangs.

For reels you also don't need to break the bank. Wal mart has a low end spinning reel, I like a 2000 series, for under $20 each. If you prefer the metal frame reel, I use some Diawa Sweepfire reels in 1500 and 2000 series that also do a good job and have a smooth drag. As with any reel, loosen the drag a little when you store them and the drag washers won't get compressed and sticky.

Line is a personal preference and I prefer the hi vis yellow or chartreuse line. Some of the bites are so faint and are seen and never felt so it helps to be able to see what's going on. 4lb in open water or on small reels for casting, and 4lb on a 200 series reel on the 7' rods I mentioned will cast a 1/16oz jig a long way. Some folks go with 6lb and some heavier for different things but this gives you a starting point. I use BPS Offshore Angler line at about $7 a big spool and Mr Crappie also has a good following.

Hope this helps some and welcome from Orange City, FL.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Spaceman, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

to the finest crappie fishing forum there is! Now you haven't said what "kind" of crappie fishing you plan on doing. That is, are you trolling from a boat, casting, fishing from the bank, or other presentations you are considering?

Check out the line up of B n' M rods online at Grizzly Jig Company. Best prices around and great service. I'd recommend you take a look at the 7' Sam Heaton's Super Sensitive (SHSS) rod; matching that with a Pflueger President #6920 spinning reel. Not knowing what your budget is, this rig will set you back just under the $100.00 mark. Fill the reel with 4# test line of your choice. Get a bunch of 1/16 oz. jig heads and a selection of crappie plastics (again Grizzly Jig!) and you're good to tackle most general crappie fishing techniques. Good Luck out there and again, welcome!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    But I'm basically just fishing with my ultralite bass rods and reel I use for creek fishing.
    That's all you need. Almost any light or UL spin rod works great for crappie.
    Likes skeetbum, shipahoy41, Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info guys. I mostly do jigging for crappies, but I also like throwing small crankbaits and spinners. I also mostly fish around dead standing trees. I've never really tired trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I mostly do jigging for crappies, but I also like throwing small crankbaits and spinners. I also mostly fish around dead standing trees. I've never really tired trolling.
    For a good jigging rod around trees with not a lot of low hanging limbs in a clustered area (Dead standing trees) I would use a BnM 10' Bucks Graphite Jig Pole or BGJP. Good rod for many applications. 10 feet seems to be a popular length for hand held jigging. 12' rods will fatigue You and the longer the rod, the harder it is to feel the bite. You have to keep a finger on the line to feel the thump. BnM is mainly in the panfish rod business.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    Likes ozarks ranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Does BnM offer reels too? And if so can you reccomend one for jigging and one for casting spinners and small cranks. I prefer spinning reels. But Id be open to trying a baitcaster if the price was right. I plan on spending about $200-250 on new baits, rod, reel and tackle boxes for all my crappie stuff when refunds come in. I caught my first crappie last summer and now I'm hooked. Can't wait to get after them again this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast