Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need experience regarding length of boat ......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need experience regarding length of boat ......

To all

I am looking at purchasing a War Eagle 754 or and 860. My requirements is:

1) boat that can handle 1-3 people
    2) can handle big water - wind and white caps - Sardis and Arkabutla can blow up some stuff once your out on the lake
    NOTE: Does an extra foot or so make it safer in rougher water; easier to ride in rough water with an extra foot or so. To get an extra foot or so seems to cost major more $$$ based on estimate given.
    3) boat can get in to shallow water
    4) room to move in the boat

Has anyone owned either/both? Any experience with these types of boats would be helpful.
    I have seen and been in the 754 at the dealer, but I have no idea how either would handle in the water.

Thks in advance

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The 860 is a foot longer plus 6 in wider bottom width....makes a lot of difference. Also the 860 will be better for three people. Got at lot more displacement in the water and more weight capacity...just makes it more stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 754VS stick steer and it handles rough water pretty good but definatley is rough to fish out of in rough water. Have fished quite a bit out of a couple of 754 SC boats. They are fine for 2 people but really cramped with 3 especially if you have a cooler and tackle boxes. For the most part the 754 is a good safe boat but if you fish 3 a good bit and want to go out on them rough days then get the bigger boat. If it was me, I would look at the Blackhawk series of boats and that 18 ft Sea Arc crappie boat. Expensive but one fine boat. I love my Wareagle but if I was going for a larger boat and dollars were a real issue I would look at the 18/19 ft Stinger series from Lowes. Big wide very stable boat with big front deck.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way.....Welcome to Crappie.com
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I have been where you are at....16/52-17/54 then an 18/60 and was never happy, I finally settled with a 20/70 Xpress and love it. So much difference in ride and stability, yes costly but if your not happy it will cost you more in the end!
    Wish you were closer I'd take you out in mine just so you could have a comparison. I have catfished 3 adults and 2 kids in mine no problem, its rated for 8 people but can't remember the weight limit.
    My advice, take a look at Xpress or Predator series War Eagle.

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get the 754, you will soon wish you had bought the 860. I have a drink cooler, minnow box, and fish box in mine
    and you can walk from the front to the back unrestricted. It also has a 5 ft gun box down one side. It is rated for 5 people
    but I've never fished over 3. The boat has worked well for me. I probably would have gotten the 961 but it wouldn't fit
    in my garage. The negative there is the 21" side walls. The 860 has 26". I have been in 3' and better rollers and have
    never taken on water. That's not saying that wouldn't with a dead motor or mishandling.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 2072 and was well pleased with it. My neighbor wanted to buy it and harassed me for years about it. I finally sold it to him and, because of price, I replaced it with an 1860. I haven't been happy with the new boat. The 2072 was just a plain jon boat while the 1860 has all the creature comforts. I want my old boat back.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to recommend any one boat over another, I think you have already looked around enough to know which one appeals to you. A friend and i had this conversation about which boat worked best for the average weekender in salt water. Having grown up in Daytona and around the water all his life, I respect his opinion. He said a 25' was about the best for a few reasons. The length spans from one swell to another and doing so helps it keep the speed up instead of going up and down swells which causes you to run slower and use more fuel. If you've run in nasty, windy conditions you already had that figured out. He also said that in that size, the floor width gave more room to just move around and not disturb everyone else by rocking the boat and bumping into them. That also made a lot of sense. While we don't need a 25', the comforts he was looking for in the bigger boat also applies to what we do. Spend a day in a small boat with nasty conditions and you'll wish you had bought the bigger one. Stay ahead of the curve and get the bigger boat you want first and you won't have to upgrade later.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Size of boat can be determined by how much outboard your budget allows.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Get as long and wide as possible. you want regret It.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast