Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2lb lline

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2lb lline

I have some of the bobby garland tiny jigs 1/48, was looking for some help shooting them. Anyone use 2lb line and how does it work for you. I read some of the older post but there may be something new now. I use 4lb mr crappie because it is cheap and does a good job. I can shoot the small jigs with 4lb but just wondering was there something I was missing. I have a wally 7ft signature that does a fair job with 4lb. I am not sure you can shoot small jigs under docks with any line but am open to your experience. Thanks
    Likes Thunderingjoe LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Three things about using 2# line. Be ready to loosen your drag at all times. Be patient landing the bigger fish. Be prepared to retire your knots on your jigs, often. Enjoy your two pound test.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

DonG said I use rope for line. I am without panache.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I use almost exclusively 2 lb test mono. I have to because of the water clarity, and to be able to make long distance casts with the tiny jigs and spoons that I use. I am mostly a Bluegill and Redear fisherman, but I am hoping to start fishing more for crappie. With this line, you have to make sure you are using a quality spinning reel that has a very good, smooth drag.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep creeping up in line weight. I suspect that the biggest problem with heavy line is presentation not visibility. Lures move differently on light line. They also are easier for light biting fish to suck in.

There really is no way to test this theory but I'm glad it keeps coming up because it is interesting to hear other people's experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Mr Crappie 4#on both of my spin cast. It is cheap and works well. I also have Fireline Crystal Extra Fine 4 Lb Size B .006.
    Found it at Wmart on sale. I dont use jigs smaller than 1/32oz "Deep South".
    Superline might be what your looking for. Its a devil in the wind.
    Fin

https://www.amazon.com/Fireline-Crys.../dp/B00ILHO9PG
    Likes snake River LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was watching brushpile fishing and Russ was fishing with the owner of Gamma fishing line. Looked at their web site and they have a panfish line that has high break strength, I think a new product. 2lb break st. 4.9 4lb break st. 8.5 comes in hivis. I use mr crappie now, have tried stren 4lb, mr crappie because it cheap and the tangles don't cost anything but time. Anyone tried the gamma panfish?

Post Thanks / Like

For about 2 decades I used 2# test Trilene monofilament exclusively. Use to have to change out my line several times each season though and I wasn't impressed with the sensitivity, especially after picking up my first SHSS rod by B n' M. So, I made the switch to Fireline Crystal in 2# test, with a 4' fluorocarbon leader. I'd never go back to straight mono ever again.

The casting ease is so much better with this fused line. Sensitivity is multiplied ten fold. Sometimes I believe I can feel the fish breathe on my jig! LOL! I use the fluoro leader to give me some "give" - stretch - when I get over rambunctious in setting the hook. And the fluoro is much more abrasion resistant than straight braided lines. Win - win.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    For about 2 decades I used 2# test Trilene monofilament exclusively. Use to have to change out my line several times each season though and I wasn't impressed with the sensitivity, especially after picking up my first SHSS rod by B n' M. So, I made the switch to Fireline Crystal in 2# test, with a 4' fluorocarbon leader. I'd never go back to straight mono ever again.

The casting ease is so much better with this fused line. Sensitivity is multiplied ten fold. Sometimes I believe I can feel the fish breathe on my jig! LOL! I use the fluoro leader to give me some "give" - stretch - when I get over rambunctious in setting the hook. And the fluoro is much more abrasion resistant than straight braided lines. Win - win.
    How long a leader do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

4' - 5' works for me most of the time. Best part of having a leader is that you can trim off the end when it gets worn from rocks, debris, or fish teeth. I maybe change out the entire leader once a year. Economical doing it that way.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast