Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evergreen trees toxic to fish ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evergreen trees toxic to fish ?

So I had a guy tell me that blue spruce and some other evergreen trees are toxic to fish in small lakes and ponds. Is there any truth to this ? I say this is bologna
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Oklahoma we have a lot of cedars (a type of juniper) that we sink for crappie attractors and they work really well. I don't think they would draw fish to them if they were toxic. I can't speak to all evergreens. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Read a article somewhere that because they break down fairly fast that to many in a small body of water could be a little toxic.

Post Thanks / Like

A large number in a small body of water could cause problems.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We put out about 10 dump truck loads of cedar trees/limbs on Enid during habitat day for 14 yrs. I lived there . This c.o.e. biologist never said anything I know of .

Post Thanks / Like

The lakes in question are 45 acres. Spring fed

Post Thanks / Like

Well, coming at you from a Christmas tree perspective...

IF you are dumping Christmas trees in the water you "COULD" have an issue. Many people don't know or realize this but commercially harvested Christmas trees (not ones you cut from the woods) have been sprayed with several different chemicals. Over the years they get treated with beetle pesticides. I doubt this would cause an issue as it is usually done when the trees are younger. They also get sprayed with a product to cure "needle Blight". The bigger issue however is what is done to the tree prior to cutting it.

Many trees, blue spruce, douglas fir, scotch pine (traditionally grown and harvested trees) are sprayed around the beginning to mid November with two different chemicals. These chemicals are mixed with water. One of them is used to "Paint" the tree. The product I remember was called "evergreen". Basically, most trees people buy in a lot look nothing like that in the field. The second product is called "Needle Stick". It is a glue type product sprayed with the paint that helps the needles stick and stay on the branches. If not used, these trees would be pretty bare around Christmas if you put them up around Thanksgiving.

So, the paint and the needle stick could cause an issue and is probably one of the primary reasons why we are not allowed to sink them here in Michigan. At one time, Michigan produced about 40% of the nations Christmas trees. I beleive Oregon is the highest producer. I worked on Christmas tree farms growning up and spent many summers trimming trees. I would then spend the fall applying paint and needle stick (done with a sprayer hanging from a boom on a tractor and a garden hose type nozzle). Messy work that involved wearing a rain suit and the stuff would be on your skin for months.

All of this "might" be the reason why it wouldn't be a good idea to sink one. Does it cause a problem? I am not sure. I am pretty sure however that this intended product was NOT designed to be submerged in a lake after usage!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I read about it all the time on Crappie dot com. Other states allow individual people to sink "fish habitat" in the water. I am sure glad that Michigan doesn't allow residents to do this in ANY public body of water. Yes you will see the occasional tree branches marking large spearing holes in the ice but this is so that others do not fall into the holes and is a reccommended practice.

I couldn't image trying to troll in one of our lakes and constanly be snagging on stake beds, PVC, and discarded christmas trees. Yes, other states allow it and I am perfectly fine with people doing what is legal and is allowed by law. No problem what so ever. I'm just glad we don't allow it.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Wicklundrh that is interesting information I never new that about Christmas trees; as for my personal experience about five years ago a buddy and me baited up a boat dock. Just after Christmas we went to one of those Christmas tree places where they just sell them and of course they were happy to let us have all we wanted. I remember we pick out some really nice trees of all types some of them had price tags of well over two hundred dollars which I thought was ridiculous but that's another story. Altogether we put out 16 trees right there in one spot and I thought man this is going to be the best dang crappie hole ever! Still to this day (including yesterday cause I always fish that slip when ever I get a chance just in case), I have probably only caught maybe five fish off of those trees.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, we cannot do it here. I WISH we could do it on some lakes BUT, they would never be able to figure out all the ones you can and can't so they ban it across the board. It would be great on our panfish lakes but a real pain in our lakes that hold walleyes, perch, and others.

I guess we can't have everything. I do find it interesting that some states, the department of fisheries works with the anglers to do this stuff. That is a great thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast