Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod holders

Ok in ohio it is illegal to fish with more than 2 rods at a time so what's the best way to rig the boat for fishing for crappie

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

won't need much rigging for 2 poles maybe a rod holder or 2 so you can put them down. If you fish with someone else you can rig for 4 poles and fish however you want. number of poles only limits you to how many you can have in the water at a time
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes jp2 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rig 2 T bars up front with 2 rod holders a piece. with 2 sitting up front. Then You could effectively spider rig but would sure double rig each rod if its legal.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    Likes moecarama LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    I'd rig 2 T bars up front with 2 rod holders a piece. with 2 sitting up front. Then You could effectively spider rig but would sure double rig each rod if its legal.CF
    What or how is this done

Post Thanks / Like

They are referring to a setup similar to this in the setups thread post #5.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/boat-...etup-pictures/
    Likes canebreaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In Mississippi on the big 4 lakes there is a limit of rods and hooks per rod, other areas don't.
    Plan to fish other areas all you can.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oobuck View Post
    What or how is this done

I know of a couple of rod holder mfg's that make 2 holder setups. Cumberland Crappie and Hi-Tek Stuff. Or, you could always buy a 4 holder setup and remove two holders (or leave them on & just not use but 2 of them).

Extra bases can also be purchased and placed front/back, so that you can fish from both seats and on whichever side of the boat you wish ... or both up front if your boat can handle it.

The bases are secured into the flooring and the T-bar is mounted into those bases. Hi-tek's slide into a groove in the base & are secured with a single bolt. Cumberland Crappie T-bars are secured to the bases by two plastic headed screws. Cumberland Crappie holders come in two styles they call "Cumberland" & "Green River" ... and the "Green River" style holders are made like the Hi-tek holders. The Cumberland Crappie T-bars are adjustable (up/down) from 17" tall to 24" tall. Hi-tek's T-bars come in 9" or 18" heights. Both have 2holder setups that have shorter cross bars than the 3 or 4 holder setups.

If you check out their respective websites, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have the Hi-tek Elite series 4rod holders (2 of them) and 4 bases mounted ... two up front and two in the back (right behind the riding seats). I rarely use more than 3rods at a time, so the two sets allow me and my partner to use them at the same time ... me in front & them in the back, and usually on the opposite sides of the boat, so that our spread is covering a wider path & they aren't fishing "used" water that my baits have already gone thru.

What "Crappiefarmer" is referring to is tying two baits on (double rig) one line .... which can be done several different ways, or the rigs can be purchased that way. Those already rigged "double" are with hooks ... for use with live bait. If you rig the double setup yourself, then you can use hooks or jigs or both.

I "push" jigs & sometimes crankbaits, rather than actually "Spider Rigging" (slower speed/live bait) ... and use a 1/2oz barrel sinker above my baits, which are on a 18"- 24" leader ... and my boat speed is usually between 0.6-1.0mph. True "Spider Rigging" is generally done at speeds below 0.5mph, so as to keep the lines vertical below the rod tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a website that sells 2 rod holders, both short and tall - scroll to the bottom of the page.

Fishing-Rod-Holders-With-Threaded-Base

And the price is for two (2) of them.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I know of a couple of rod holder mfg's that make 2 holder setups. Cumberland Crappie and Hi-Tek Stuff. Or, you could always buy a 4 holder setup and remove two holders (or leave them on & just not use but 2 of them).

Extra bases can also be purchased and placed front/back, so that you can fish from both seats and on whichever side of the boat you wish ... or both up front if your boat can handle it.

The bases are secured into the flooring and the T-bar is mounted into those bases. Hi-tek's slide into a groove in the base & are secured with a single bolt. Cumberland Crappie T-bars are secured to the bases by two plastic headed screws. Cumberland Crappie holders come in two styles they call "Cumberland" & "Green River" ... and the "Green River" style holders are made like the Hi-tek holders. The Cumberland Crappie T-bars are adjustable (up/down) from 17" tall to 24" tall. Hi-tek's T-bars come in 9" or 18" heights. Both have 2holder setups that have shorter cross bars than the 3 or 4 holder setups.

If you check out their respective websites, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have the Hi-tek Elite series 4rod holders (2 of them) and 4 bases mounted ... two up front and two in the back (right behind the riding seats). I rarely use more than 3rods at a time, so the two sets allow me and my partner to use them at the same time ... me in front & them in the back, and usually on the opposite sides of the boat, so that our spread is covering a wider path & they aren't fishing "used" water that my baits have already gone thru.

What "Crappiefarmer" is referring to is tying two baits on (double rig) one line .... which can be done several different ways, or the rigs can be purchased that way. Those already rigged "double" are with hooks ... for use with live bait. If you rig the double setup yourself, then you can use hooks or jigs or both.

I "push" jigs & sometimes crankbaits, rather than actually "Spider Rigging" (slower speed/live bait) ... and use a 1/2oz barrel sinker above my baits, which are on a 18"- 24" leader ... and my boat speed is usually between 0.6-1.0mph. True "Spider Rigging" is generally done at speeds below 0.5mph, so as to keep the lines vertical below the rod tips.
    What do you mean you push jigs or cranks this is only my 3rd or 4th year fishing with my own boat and only been after crappie or pan fish starting last year always have liked catching muskie catfish and bass

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oobuck View Post
    What do you mean you push jigs or cranks this is only my 3rd or 4th year fishing with my own boat and only been after crappie or pan fish starting last year always have liked catching muskie catfish and bass

Welcome to Crappie.com
    You ought to go to the Ohio board and read about how they are crappie fishing and what methods etc. etc. they are doing.....read awhile then ask them questions. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/ohio/
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast