Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What times of year are best for these types of crappie fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What times of year are best for these types of crappie fishing?

I have so many different types of crappie fishing methods that I am trying to do these days. It has got me confused some times when I am out on the water. I am not sure if I should spider rig, long line or what? I need to simplify or at least get my head straight with some guidance from you guys on generally when to use each method. What do you look for when deciding what method to do?

1. What times of year and conditions are best for longlining jigs from back of boat?

2. What times of year and conditions are best for slow spider rigging out the front of the boat?

3. What times of year are best and conditions for single pole brush piles (stumps, etc) straight down?

4. What times of year are best and conditions for pulling crankbaits out the back of the boat?
    Likes blueball, rebranger LIKED above post

Javelin 180 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in this also

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. No doubt, you can catch crappie on any of these methods at any time of year under reasonable conditions. Pulling cranks is generally a warm-hot weather tactic in my area. Long lining produces best in mid to late spring and summer and fall. Spider rigging can be done 12 months out of the year and single poling is best during the spawn and when the fish are on deep water structure. My advice is to choose one or two of these methods which you believe will work best in your area. Perfect a couple of these methods before trying to do everything at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I only jig fish, cover most times but do find them suspended in summer away from cover and wind up strolling . ''dragging my jigs with pole in each hand ''.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes slackline, blue-jig LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

c/p....
    I only jig fish, cover most times but do find them suspended in summer away from cover and wind up strolling . ''dragging my jigs with pole in each hand ''. But now i fish with 12 poles up front and 8 for the back.

White Crappie or Black Crappie

Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually use 2 "other" methods more often than any of those four. Most often is casting & slow retrieving, done from early Spring (pre-spawn) to late Fall/ early Winter. Second most often used method is "pushing", and I primarily use jigs for that, as well (though I am gearing up for using cranks, eventually). That's done mostly post-spawn to early Fall. Both methods are primarily used by me, because of when & where I fish, and the depth range I'm most comfortable fishing (<25ft deep).

But, to answer "your" concerns ... I would match the technique with the current whereabouts & depth of the fish, not necessarily the time of year or conditions. IMHO, it's more important to "present" the bait at the correct depth & speed, once they've been located. Whether they're scattered or schooled can also determine the correct method to use.

Not all the fish will be at the same depth, or doing the same thing at any given time, so you can still catch fish "shallow" when everyone else is catching them deep. And don't forget the differences in "preferences" between the two species of Crappie. What they eat, the depths they prefer, temps they prefer, water conditions preferred, types of cover, etc., etc. can be very similar or quite different.

Post Thanks / Like

I only employ one or 2 methods year round , pitching or vertical jigging and float pitching .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Pulling crankbaits is best during the heat of the summer here when the fish are out deep. The rest of the year all other tactics work. If I can catch em single pole jigging thats what I do. Especially during the spawn. But pre spawn and post spawn spider rigging is alot of fun. I have never long line trolled but there are people doing it while others are spider rigging just depends on what you want to do.
    Likes rebranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do the longlining when seeing the crappie are scatter. By the way this is my favorite method. Spider rigging when the fish is bunch up deep and also spider rig for them when they are real shallow. single pole fishing brush or standing timber. Pulled cranks when started getting hot. Then when it gets to hot this is when I night fish. Another one of my favorites.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

Let the fish tell you Follow the SHAD!
    When nothing is going right, Just go fishing.
    Earl Dibbles Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast