Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Line

I am just curious as to what types of fishing lines everyone uses.

I read that CP and a few others were using the Berkley IronSilk line. So I went to three different stores before finally find that in the 6lb test that I wanted.

I just put some on two of my spinning reels and made my first cast with it on my new Richard Williams Signature pole. It's really smooth. I filled one reel up with about 90yds and another with about 100 yards. Will give them a try tomorrow weather permitting.

In the past I have always used the Berkely Trilene Xtra Limp fishing line in 4 to 6 lb tests.
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Moose, you are correct ... I do use Berkley Iron Silk in the "Solar Mint" color. My partner still seems to prefer the Stren Gold ... though I found it to be a bit more memory retentive than I like. I also use Trilene Sensation, Trilene XL, and BPS Excel lines on my Crappie reels. I have one reel that is spooled with Maxima line ... RED colored line... that I've also used. I'm just glad that the Crappie don't seem to mind what color the line is ...LOL - 'cause I can't cast jigs and catch Crappie, nearly as well, if I can't "SEE" the line under most all lighting conditions. Granted, I don't fish gin clear water ... but even I can see my blu/fluor lines in most of the waters I do fish ... much less the "colored" ones !! So, I know the fish can see them.
    One trick I have learned, when using the blue/fluor lines, to make them a bit more visable (between rod tip and water's surface) in the sunlight ...... is to cast my jig, and when the jig hits the water, drop my rod tip down and get the line between the jig and rod tip WET !! When I lift my rod tip back up and into retrieving position (10 to 11 o:clock position), the wet line glistens in the sunlight - and I can "see" it very well.

NOW - if the MONSOON season will subside for a few weeks, around here, I might be able to get off this "personal confuser" and get a line in the water ....LOL!!

Don't know if you know this, Moose, or check there .... but, www.fishin.com has a link that shows you the daily water levels of Patoka. On the same info screen - you can also see the levels of my home Crappie waters ... Taylorsville Lake. I just checked there a little bit ago and ....... Patoka is 3.8ft above Summer Pool (and probably rising) and Taylorsville is over 10ft above Summer Pool (and after these "supercell thunderstorms", definitely still rising). Looks like late June before I'll be able to fish T-ville ... and that will be the time for "daylight til noonish" Crappie trips, or the "late evening til wee hours of the AM" Bass trips.

If/when/wherever you go - be safe, take care, and .........luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default just stubborn

I use Stren clear blue floresent. Just not have found anything I like better yet but, then again I have probably only tried half dozon different lines in the last 25 years..LOL.. I like it in the 4-6 pond test.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing line

I use Spiderwire. It is 20 pound test and 6 pound diameter. I verticle fish alot in heavy structure at times and when I can't easily unhang myself, I grab the line and force it loose, grrrrrrr. But for some reason, I never have used mono filiment lines before, I don't know why I started out this way, I just did. Crappie fishing is relatively new to me. I'm still learning. Thank you Al Linder for Crappie Wisdom lol

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Fishing Line

Moose, in the past I have always used Berkley triline, six and eight pound test. But after reading about power pro line I decided to give it a try and realy like it. It is a little expensive but it's worth it. But like cp would say Thats just my take! Hope the rain stops and the bad weather goes away for you folks so you can get in some fishing. Good fishing to all Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am

I read that CP and a few others were using the Berkley IronSilk line. So I went to three different stores before finally find that in the 6lb test that I wanted.

I just put some on two of my spinning reels and made my first cast with it on my new Richard Williams Signature pole. It's really smooth. I filled one reel up with about 90yds and another with about 100 yards. Will give them a try tomorrow weather permitting.

In the past I have always used the Berkely Trilene Xtra Limp fishing line in 4 to 6 lb tests.
    I use Bass Pro Shops Excel line on all of my reels. I like it it is tough, supple, abrasion resistant, and holds up strong under all conditions. Even in the cold weather it doesnt get too stiff. It is a great all around line at a great value for the buck. I use 4lb through 20lb test. There are alot of good lines on the market these days. I have tried 6lb P Line on a spinning outfit and I liked it very well too. You just need to look around and find the one that suits you the best. On occasion I will try a new line by letting the baitshop load a spool for me so I can check it out cheap you see lol! Good Luck to you! Speck

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! I've went on a long and hard journey this past year in looking for an all around fishing line for crapppie. The braided lines were very sensitive (Fireline /PowerPro)
    but they were a bit to tuff for the bank fishing I was doing. You can't go wrong with
    (Stren / Trilene / Bass Pro tourney tuff.) My best choice that I am using for everything now is a bit costly and it was my last choice to try out. Its the Pline CXX
    premium in 6 pd. I love it. But here is a warning stay away from the extra tuff green line for that brand, it has a bit to much memory! Goodluck!
    Rick.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, This is almost like asking what kind of beer, boat, motors, girlfriends we like. This is going to be a can of worms, as you know.

But I might as well jump in also.

I've used several over the years and I think I've used more Sigma, by Shakespeare, 4 pound than any thing else. I like it mostly because it's so limp and I think it has less memory than most others that I've used. The down side is I don't think it's as strong as some other 4 pounds that I've used. It should have the same strength. It does have more give also.

I'm like CP and some of the other older guys here, like myself, like the hi viz lines. We need to see the line. I started using Stren Hi-Viz after seeing it used at the Watts Bar outtings that I started going to a couple of years ago and seeing how well it worked when you need to be a line watcher. I've been using it 90% of the time since. I think the fish don't care either.

Sam W had me try some P-Line this spring at the Bar and this is what he and I both used at the Fling. It was 8 pound and worked nice shooting docks. STRONG, You can straighten out a hook real quick if need be. But be careful and don't cut you hand with it. It's about the strongest line that I ever used. And you can see it when the light hits it. Sort of glows a purple, blue color.. It's a Copolymer line.

The down side is I can't get it put on my reel like I can other lines. It wants to twist and gets wraped around my rod tip and it's just a bitch to get it on.
    I've never had any trouble with other lines and I've been doing it for years. No matter how I flip the spool or unreel it, it just twist around it's self. I've tried 6 and 8 pound on different spools and I get the same results.

I've even taken it off the spool and had it free lineing in the yard and that didn't help. It's almost like as they put in on the spool they also put a twist in it also. Has anyone else had this problem with P-Line?

I'm going to send it back and tell them to keep it. I've got some new Trilene Sensation that I want to try in a couple of days and I like the color also. Mint Green

Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Default We need more discussions

Well I asked this question for two reasons. One to find out if anyone else was trying the Ironsilk line from Berkeley besides CP and me and two to get more discussions going. Evenone that fishes has to use some kind of fishing line and I was hoping the more people would type a response. So many guys just read the posts but never post anything. So I was hoping that more guys would start typing in responses to a question about fishing line.

BTW. I got to fish on Memorial Day. As I arrived at the boat ramp around 11:00am (very late start) I saw another boat pulling out of the boat ramp. Actually there were not in the water but looked as if they were going to put in and then decided not to. They asked me and my two buddies if we wanted a crappie. I said yes and they produced a 13" long White Crappie and gave it to me alive. I put it in my bucket. They told me that they caught it at another pit so we decided to head over to that pit and try our luck. I had my new FISHING LINE on my favoite outfit and wanted to give it a try out. We found the spot and started catching many medium sized 8" to 10" crappie. We had a good day catching these crappie but didn't find the big ones. I saw some fish suspened down about 15 to 20ft deep and we trolled for them but the high winds were making boat control tollally useless. I was trolling forward on high speed into the wind and the boat was slowly going backwards. I feared that we might not make it back to the launch ramp on trolling motor power alone. This pit is trolling motor only but in an emergency I would have fired up the gasoline motor to get back to the boat dock in high winds conditions. Say a storm were to approach and I had to get off the water fast because of lighting or something.

We ran into the game warden ( a old friend of mine) and he gave me some tips about lauching the boat without using the big motor. I used the rope method.

Quote Originally Posted by gcromer
    Moose, This is almost like asking what kind of beer, boat, motors, girlfriends we like. This is going to be a can of worms, as you know.

But I might as well jump in also.

I've used several over the years and I think I've used more Sigma, by Shakespeare, 4 pound than any thing else. I like it mostly because it's so limp and I think it has less memory than most others that I've used. The down side is I don't think it's as strong as some other 4 pounds that I've used. It should have the same strength. It does have more give also.

I'm like CP and some of the other older guys here, like myself, like the hi viz lines. We need to see the line. I started using Stren Hi-Viz after seeing it used at the Watts Bar outtings that I started going to a couple of years ago and seeing how well it worked when you need to be a line watcher. I've been using it 90% of the time since. I think the fish don't care either.

Sam W had me try some P-Line this spring at the Bar and this is what he and I both used at the Fling. It was 8 pound and worked nice shooting docks. STRONG, You can straighten out a hook real quick if need be. But be careful and don't cut you hand with it. It's about the strongest line that I ever used. And you can see it when the light hits it. Sort of glows a purple, blue color.. It's a Copolymer line.

The down side is I can't get it put on my reel like I can other lines. It wants to twist and gets wraped around my rod tip and it's just a bitch to get it on.
    I've never had any trouble with other lines and I've been doing it for years. No matter how I flip the spool or unreel it, it just twist around it's self. I've tried 6 and 8 pound on different spools and I get the same results.

I've even taken it off the spool and had it free lineing in the yard and that didn't help. It's almost like as they put in on the spool they also put a twist in it also. Has anyone else had this problem with P-Line?

I'm going to send it back and tell them to keep it. I've got some new Trilene Sensation that I want to try in a couple of days and I like the color also. Mint Green

Gerald
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I bought a 330 yds. of IronSilk 4# and I spooled up a few reels. I will let you know how I like it when I can get out again. It is very strong and looks like it might be a winner, but I will find out soon. Not a bad price @ $6.99 at GM. My buddy is trying out Sensor line and has had nothing but problems with it fraying , twisting, breaking, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast