Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Worlds dumbest question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worlds dumbest question?

I fish from a kayak,and want to delv into fish finders,I fish small lakes the deepest being 45 fow. Not wanting to spend my inheritance,I'm taking my time in choosing.One question among many is,water temp readings,I'm assuming the reading is surface temp?,if so ,does this pose a problem fishing in deeper waters vs shallow water?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    I fish from a kayak,and want to delv into fish finders,I fish small lakes the deepest being 45 fow. Not wanting to spend my inheritance,I'm taking my time in choosing.One question among many is,water temp readings,I'm assuming the reading is surface temp?,if so ,does this pose a problem fishing in deeper waters vs shallow water?
    Yes, it measures surface temps.

IMHO .... no, it does not pose a "problem". Surface water temps are simply an indicator, not THE major factor.
    And, if you want/need to probe the depths for temp readings, there are devices that allow you to do so. But, I'd venture to guess that 90% of the people with units that have surface temp info provided by their units ... don't pay that much attention to them (except maybe during the spawning period, when the fish are more likely to be in very shallow water).
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Pappy, only surface temp. I have a helix 7 just because of my old tired eyes. but on a kyak space is a premium. there are a lot of units for shallower water and he will not be running 60mph. IMHO

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed may not be an issue, but were it me I would want a handheld GPS also. We all know how important it is to know where a spot is to come back to, or exactly how to get back out of where you worked your way into. Plus, should you go with a friend in his boat you could save a waypoint too. With his permission of course.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes ozarks ranger LIKED above post