HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What jig style for Baby Shad Type Baits?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What jig style for Baby Shad Type Baits?

I fish a lot of Bobby Garland Baby Shad baits and I'm wondering what style of jig most use for these type of baits. Barbed, Barbless, Collared, Collarless?

Post Thanks / Like

Plain collared ball head with a sickle hook gets it done for me
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unpainted - Barbed - Ball Head - Weedless (Y-guard or brush style guard) - 1/32 & 1/16oz with #2 Aberdeen hook ... when casting.

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unpainted, 1/16oz, no collar, with number four hook.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What they all said above!
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes zig zag LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/16 ounce non painted barbed minnow head jig with a #2 Black chrome sickle style hook

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a short answer, but I'll try to keep it short. It depends on where I'm fishing. Open water and little cover, I go to #2 hook. Everything fishing, where I don't know what's next, #4 hook. Tight cover, around brush or weeds, but still not needing weedless, I go to #6. And don't let the little hook fool you.I've landed many 2lb fish with that little hook buried in the roof of the mouth.

Weight goes from 1/32 to 1/4. With plastics I usually use a barbed collar to hold the body better. If the barb stands pretty proud I trim the tip off a little so it doesn't tear the plastic so bad.

The head is also according to where I fish. Minnow heads tend to fall a little faster(at least in my mind) and I use them a lot but I always have ball heads with the barbed collar. If I use a no collar head I carry a bit of super glue so it doesn't slide off.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Barbed with collar . Round head . all sizes . single pole 95% of time . Slider jig head and Road runners the rest .
    Likes Dollfly, zig zag LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby Garland Mo' Glo heads I think they are size 1 or 1/0 hooks. not less than 1/8 oz. Redneck Rubber jig heads,/0 hooks, again no less than 1/8 oz. Lately ive been using Timmy Toms weedless heads (1/16 oz has a #2 hook, you can pick from a #1 up to 2/0 in the 1/8 and 1/4 oz sizes. he makes a bladed head (WSD) and what he calls a Kast n dragin head that is awesome for just that purpose). Big/heavier jigs with big hooks is where its at. You can get by smaller hooks, but why???
    Likes jim8861 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We pour our own ball heads with ball-type collar. 90% are 1/16 oz., with the rest 1/8 or 1/32 oz.. size. I find the #4 standard jig hooks do the job just fine. And we don't paint the heads either. Ball heads work great with BGBS plastics.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast