Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line For Slow Vertical Trolling Off The Bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line For Slow Vertical Trolling Off The Bow

with long poles. Please state brand of line and what pound test off the reel you favor. Do you start with a certain pound test off the reel and end up with a lower pound test by the time you get to the jigs by barrel swivels seperating the different pound test. Stealth and breaking off alot versus not breaking off alot with bigger line is the catch 22.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep it simple, Mr. crappie hi vis 6 pound from the reel to the jig. if I want more jigs I use a loop knot.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Countrytime,
    Some good quality 8 lb. tests will straighten light hooks before the line will break and you will have to tie up a whole new rig. 10 lb is a popular lb.test to use but due to more resistance in the water when moving a little more weight has to be used to keep it vertical.
    Personally, I would rather straighten out a jig or hook as have to re-rig while trying to watch several other poles.
    My personal favorite is Stren Hi-Vis Gold. I'm a big line watcher also catching several nice fish by just noticing one line doing something different than all the others. There are lots of good lines out there though and I occasionally will try something new.
    Last edited by slabbandit; 02-24-2007 at 07:02 PM.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Stren Hi-Vis Gold, 8 pound test. Brand isn't that important, but I would highly recommend the Hi-Vis because it will help you see the bites better.

8 pound has always worked well for me because it is enough to get out of most snags. Anything more than 8 pound test and I find that I have to put too much weight on the poles to keep the line vertical. In summary...... same thing slabbandit said.