HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old School tricks of the trade thread maybe ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old School tricks of the trade thread maybe ?

Saw a thread about old school tricks for ketchn crappie fish ....I say we maybe chime in as a collective and give up a few tricks you know work .
    One I use that an old timer taught me was to wipe my jigs on the crappie and get the slime on the jig , it seems to be particularly good on feather type jigs for me and seems to help on my plastics as well . here in texas we are not legally allowed to actually use crappie as bait but I hear that strips of crappie work really well also .
    so please chime in and give up some of this stuff that could possibly go away if we don't share it and possibly help another angler get into these here tasty rascals .... ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First is to what NOT to get near the jig or bait. Be careful of what you handle before you go to the water. Gasoline in particular will stay on your hands for a long time and I'm given to understand that fish find it offensive. I wash my hands before I leave the house and try to handle the first fish and just rinse my hands for the rest of the day. Might not be any fact in this but I feel more confident by doing this.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Keep your hooks sharp and have a way to measure fish. A dollar bill is 6 1/8" long.

Post Thanks / Like

Before sonar we would "mark" fish spots using the triangulation method. Most would carry a notebook and write it down. Some would just memorize it.

Once your on the spot, look to shore and pick two landmarks in a line, then look in another direction toward shore and find two more landmark in a line. Where those two lines intersect is your fishing spot. X marks the spot.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes Nutbush, skeetbum, Takeum, Cane Pole, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great Thread! I have always been told when the fish aren't biting to fish slower. But also have followed one of the best fishermen I know for crappie and he moves fast when single poling dropping around a tree and jigging a few seconds and then moving over and doing it again. Never sitting in one place too long unless the fish are biting.
    Likes Slabprowler, Nutbush, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My dad taught me to always start shallow ( like 2 feet deep ) and work your way down when fishing a submerged treetop if its been a few days since you were on the water .
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

How about pick up a road kill on the way fishing in warm weather hang on a limb over water maggots fall into the water attracting fish. Yeah, bet you cant fish there for the smell.
    Likes skeetbum, broz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
    How about pick up a road kill on the way fishing in warm weather hang on a limb over water maggots fall into the water attracting fish. Yeah, bet you cant fish there for the smell.
    That works, knew a guy that would catch carp, put a rope through the gills and hand em
    He would tap a paddle to the fish and use the maggots, caught huge bluegill
    Stay on the upwind side

Post Thanks / Like

More than 50 yrs ago I read about putting 2-3 bumblebee in a jar and sinking it
    Claimed the buzzing would attract crappie
    Doe' s that qualify as an " old time trick"?
    Likes flintcreek, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Never mess with gas before I go and bliss text as in chap stick don't hurt anything.... sounds weird but I can't say for sure if it helps or hurt....so far it seams to help. ??? Dunno...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast