Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: outboard opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default outboard opinions

I'll be shopping for a new outboard for a john boat my wife and I use on the small rivers in our area.

Some places on the river horsepower is restricted to 40hp, so we're looking at 40hp motors.

Got friends that swear by Yamaha (4 stroke) and some Mercury. I think their both good motors but wanted to get some of you guys opinions.

Thanks
    Hoot
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

Hoot,

Each have there advantages to them. Your 2 strokes will be cheaper than the 4 strokes. But your 4 strokes are quiter than the 2 strokes. But the 2 strokes will make better horsepower than the 4's. Both will get about the same fuel consuption, they say the 2 are just a tad better. Also check on what the 4 strokes cost on maintance. The 2's just buy oil, about $12-$18 a gallon and spark plugs ever year. They only thing that I would do is not buy a new model on the market. Like the evinrude v-tec or merc verado's. These are new motors, that still may not have all the bugs worked out of them. Everyone has there own brand they like, my first was a evinrude and now I own a merc. Both have been good motors to me so far. Just like chevy vs ford vs dodge everyone likes one and hates the others.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Hoot
    I have the Yamaha 40, 4 stroke. 2002 model. I don't think they have changed any. It's the best money that I ever spent. Uses about the same amount of gas that my 20 hp Mercury did.
    Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    I'll be shopping for a new outboard for a john boat my wife and I use on the small rivers in our area.

Some places on the river horsepower is restricted to 40hp, so we're looking at 40hp motors.

Got friends that swear by Yamaha (4 stroke) and some Mercury. I think their both good motors but wanted to get some of you guys opinions.

Thanks
    Hoot
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I kinda liked the Yamaha 4 stroke because it was quiet. I like this idea on the river. We like to sneak up on the fish if possible. lol.

We've used canoes to fish the river before but it's difficult to manage the canoe and fish too. Also can't get out of there very quick should some weather happen.

Like Ted said, each have their advantages. The noise factor might swing me to Yamaha. Their $xpensive though and I haven't found too many used ones in my area to look at yet.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
    Hoot
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

specker Guest

You might check this site . I have found the info usefull.

http://www.smalloutboards.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Get rid of the canoe and look at a driftboat much easier to handle.
    Yamaha is the only way to go. I have a 60hp 2 stroke. I'd give up the old lady before I'd give up my Yamaha. The other thing is that my Ymi is really quiet for a 2 stroke, and it's bullet proof. I run it in fresh and saltwater.

Ken

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl/YaBB.pl

try this site but dock is a merc man so he is a little predijust ,. cant blame him that is his buisness . but fron now on the 4 stroke will be all you can git . merc are made in japan i thing anything below 50 hp . if you going to buy new or almost new go 4 stroke . a lot of waters will and have started banning 2 stroke . you might try. iboats.com it is a good site.papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Yamaha 4stroke 25hp and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger here in Shreveport has changed over to Yamaha, they told me Merc is having maintenance problems. I noticed Ranger is now advertising in Bassmaster with a Yamaha mounted on them. Food for thought?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast