Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Good long spool reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good long spool reel

What is a good long cast, long spool spinning reel to put on a 8' crappie pole strickly for casting light lures? I'm not asking for a hi-dollar reel but one say under $50 for those few times in the spring when I want to throw a jig and cork or bettle spin type lures. I use Avocets for my tightlining and slow trolling which is my main stay but do want to rig up one pole for my infrequent casting times and want a better light lure spinner.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink It ain't a "long spool" ....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    What is a good long cast, long spool spinning reel to put on a 8' crappie pole strickly for casting light lures? I'm not asking for a hi-dollar reel but one say under $50 for those few times in the spring when I want to throw a jig and cork or bettle spin type lures. I use Avocets for my tightlining and slow trolling which is my main stay but do want to rig up one pole for my infrequent casting times and want a better light lure spinner.
    but I have a Mitchell 308X on my Duckworth 8ft FnF rod, and it works great. BPS is running a special, right now, on this reel ... $14.99 total price, shipped USPS. Thanks to "davelee67", I now have another one of these reels on order - http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=34423
    Normal price is around $35 +tax ... so it's a pretty good bargain.
    Here's the specs on a 308X:

Bearings: 5
    Gear Ratio: 5.5:1
    Weight: 8.6 oz
    Line Capacity: 160-yds of 6-lb test

It's not a "trigger" type reel, so it does have the "instant stop anti-reverse" feature.
    I'm currently throwing 6lb test Iron Silk mono, with this reel ... but, may try the 4lb Mr Crappie hi-vis in the upcoming season.
    It's just a suggestion, and you may want to compare it to other's suggestions ... but, whatever you choose ... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP, I have one on order. I don't like those trigger types myself. Does anyone have one of these?
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Looks like a long spool and has a $10 rebate.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cardinal 101

Stevej I have been using the 101 cardinals for five years now and love them .They got a good drag & are smooth what else can I say Ive only got eight of them .. good reels for the money.Tight lines and enjoy.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-25-2007 at 12:04 AM.